General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Is This A Good Deal? 98z fixer upper

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wsteun
White smoke = Coolant. I don't see how a broken ring would cause that problem. I'd compression test it and go from there.
Exactly what I was going to say.

A bad ring would cause blow by which would burn oil and cause blue smoke. Same deal with bad valve seals.

Ask if he minds if you compression test the car before you buy it.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TheLS1Kid
Exactly what I was going to say.

A bad ring would cause blow by which would burn oil and cause blue smoke. Same deal with bad valve seals.

Ask if he minds if you compression test the car before you buy it.
In that case its just the coolant i suppose. No blue smoke, just a little bit of white smoke, which i think every car has when its started on a cold morning. And yea, if i cant afford this car, i will definatly let you guys have his number.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1fastz
In that case its just the coolant i suppose. No blue smoke, just a little bit of white smoke, which i think every car has when its started on a cold morning. And yea, if i cant afford this car, i will definatly let you guys have his number.
Yea white smoke on a cold start is normal.

Let the car warm up to operating temp and give it a rev and look for any obvious large amounts of smoke.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pressure test it first. White smoke = steam meaning possible blown head gasket. I believe the UNICEF worker knows somethings going on. I would be very suspicious.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:47 AM
Teching In

Vortech's kit is made for a bone stock motor, I doubt it damaged the motor unless it was unhealthy before the install. Also remember he had to tap the oil pan for the S/C, might want to make sure that was fixed properly.

I would stay away unless you have the cash for a new motor.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:38 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1>girlfriend
even if it has a blown engine its worth more than $3,000. thats kinda shady offering him $3k when he has health problems/ bills and only owns $3,600, why not offer what he owns? its only $600...
Originally Posted by TORK?
Note to self... Do not go into business with this guy ^^^
I thought it was a nice gesture. Typically, I like to do business with people that aren't looking to screw everyone over just to benefit themself. That creates distrust, and eventually destroys a business.

I mean, I agree that we all need to look out for 'number one', but it's nice to do a little bit of good here and there. I've given people killer deals on stuff from time to time, just to be nice. Reason I've done that is, I've also been given killer deals from time to time. Just giving a little back I guess.

To the OP, if you can afford the car, buy it. Sounds like you could make some decent money on the deal, even if he want's the $3600 with a blown motor. If the motor is fine, you could probably double your money pretty easily.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I thought it was a nice gesture. Typically, I like to do business with people that aren't looking to screw everyone over just to benefit themself. That creates distrust, and eventually destroys a business.

I mean, I agree that we all need to look out for 'number one', but it's nice to do a little bit of good here and there. I've given people killer deals on stuff from time to time, just to be nice. Reason I've done that is, I've also been given killer deals from time to time. Just giving a little back I guess.

To the OP, if you can afford the car, buy it. Sounds like you could make some decent money on the deal, even if he want's the $3600 with a blown motor. If the motor is fine, you could probably double your money pretty easily.

Sounds like a blown head gasket to me. If it's not knocking chances it is fixable. Head gaskets go under boost/n20 easier than piston/rings. Check the coolant for oil and the oil for coolant. Also since it has been sitting you definitely want to get it up to temp to check for cracks/leaks.

I'd buy it and throw the shortblock out of my car in it and put a 6.0 in my personal car and sell it to mod my car with the profits.

Not telling you what to do but what I would do.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:51 PM

It's a good deal @$3,600. But don't go in on a car with some friends, Buy it yourslf or not at all.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:58 PM
12 Second Club

If we were to purchase the vehicle, we would fix it up and re-sell it and split the profit. but you guys are right, its not a good idea to go half and half when it comes with certain things.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

If you are going in on the car you better get a contract written up and signed by EVERYBODY involved that details the intentions you guys have. Oh yeah and make sure nobody drives it without everybody's approval.

Still not a good idea though. I'd beg the parental units/grandparents for cash to help you make a buck before I went in with friends. Blood is thicker than water and it's not THAT much and you CAN get your money back and then some so I would definitely go that route. Make sure they know your trying to make some money and not another car keep and they can split the money with you.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gun5
holy mountain batman
No doubt!

If he will sell a little land on that plot, id pay 3K without a compression check! lol
Old 03-08-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1fastz
If we were to purchase the vehicle, we would fix it up and re-sell it and split the profit. but you guys are right, its not a good idea to go half and half when it comes with certain things.
Anything with more than one head is a monster (dave ramsey advise)

Sounds like you need a head set, plugs, head bolts, and a trip to the machine shop to get the heads milled. Whats that... 600?
Old 03-09-2008, 12:07 PM
10 Second Moderator

Get that car and bring it back to life! Sad sight to see setting out there turning into lodging for every mouse in the neighborhood. Good luck with it.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So did you buy it yet?...If not can I have the number and ill drive up there today and give him $3600 for it? I have wanted a hradtop Z for a while.

*EDIT-Nevermind I thought it was a hardtop...screw that ill still give him $3600
Old 03-09-2008, 01:52 PM
12 Second Club

Alright guys, Ill be finding out tomorrow if this deal will go through for me. If not, i dont mind PM'ing you the guys number... for a smal fee!!!!! ...... just playing, lol.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'd like a PM. i know somebody that would have it shipped to MN~Cole~
Old 03-10-2008, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Id like a PM and i will paypal you lil something for finding it.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Good Deal. toss a new engine in it for $3000 and watch you fly like an Eagle