General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

M6 cars and aftermarket power

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

go M6 its a rock solid transmission and a lot more fun, rear end still feels really solid to me and its seen quite a few hard clutch dumps and burnouts but then again im all stock right now
Old 03-11-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by _JB_
I suggested the driveshaft as you usually have to modify the stock one to fit a new rearend. After spending so much money on a stronger rearend, what's another few hundred to get something you know won't die on you? I would rather not have holes ripped in the floor of my car.
I'm with you
Old 03-12-2008, 02:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by miamifan3413
Hey 98's have their upside compared to newer years....better flexplate, gauges that actually work, auburn posi.....it's just as good as others IMO Once you start modding, it starts to level the playing field. Not trying to start a debate here but you got yourself a worthy car I prefer M6 myself too.....always thought that a true sports car was stick, however it's all about preference
Oh, I love my car and wouldn't think of trading it for an 01-02. What little I've got done to it now, I have ran off from a few cars without a problem. Some I thought would hand me my ***, but it was the other way around
Old 03-12-2008, 02:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

The 10-bolt is an enigma. Some guys snap them with stock power, while others have gone into the 11s with them. Any way you slice it, a car that sees the track on the regular basis should have the 10-bolt replaced. My Z28's 10-bolt has survived nearly 600rwhp, but I've never dead-hooked it on a prepared surface either... I'm replacing it this summer with a 12-bolt as I don't see the track much.
Insofar as clutches, the SPECs seem to get a bad rap, but mine has held up pretty well.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1BadAzzWS6
That sux about your clutch. I was cam only with 100 shot(dyno'd 470rwhp) at the time and like I said, I roasted a Spec Stage III in less than year... at that wasn't daily driven. Those were only weekend warrior miles and track use.

I had a local shop put in a Centerforce clutch made specifically for FI or Nitrous applications. Since then I've had the rear replaced with 4.11's and added heads and a new tune and still have the spray(100 dry shot) on the car. The clutch has lasted twice and as long as hasn't slipped or let me down whatsoever(knock on wood). Just my $.02.

And yea, I've heard great things about the Mcleod twin disc... I just didn't want to drop that much coin at the time.

thats awesome that your has lasted. more then likely its a stronger one then the centerforce that I had. My car was at 430rwhp cam only with bolt ons.

Clutches are just one of those items, that no matter what brand it is, some people have had great luck or crappy luck with them.

For the ones that have failed clutches, I do question if it was installed correct and if they did the proper break in, along with how well do they know how to drive a clutch car.

I agree about the mcleod, its feels odd coughing up $1300 just for a clutch. That is why i am trying their new RST, the clutch is under $700 and its a twin disk.