General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

buying car out of state on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also asked him if he would I could send him 1000 and then the rest after receiving the title which he would overnight to me. He sad after he gets full payment he would mail me the title.

I know that sounds super shady, but doesnt the feedback he has count for anything?

and the fact that he is the owner of the dealership, and not just a private seller, doesn't that make things a little better

he said he would fax me his bussines license and a copy of the title, im thinking about making up some sort of contract and faxing it to him for him to sign, and then faxing back to me

what are your thoughts?

thanks again
Old 03-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Banned

It seems legitamate. It says paypal account required.
Just start a paypal account and make a payment.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

anyone else??

I talked to him and he said he only accepts paypal for the deposit.

He will either take a money order or wire transfer for the rest.

I told him to fax me a copy of his business license and the title of the car and he said he would.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Default ask him -------------

what kind of a dealer only takes pay-pal beside a crooked one, hey buddy forget the deal you'll find a bettar one out there , your gonna get fucked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

I think you misunderstood me.

He does not want to use paypal as payment for the total cost of the car because he does not want to pay the fees associated with it.

He will take any other type of payment, but the only time he will accept a paypal payment, is for the deposit since the fee wont be as high.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Launching!

I bought my t/a in florida off ebay and Im in ohio, I talked to the guy several times put $500 down payment on it and said ill come down check it out and as long as everything he says is true ill buy it but if something is wrong Im not and want my deposit backed, it worked out and the guy was very cooperative.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

Don't wire transfer. EVER
Old 03-19-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Healthy dose of skepticism is always good in transactions like these. However, it seems like some of the guys here have quite a bit of overdose on that stuff.

In the last 2 years I have bought 4 cars off Ebay and each transaction has worked out perfectly. Just need some background work, just like the OP is doing here.

Good luck with the purchase.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Resident

This is exactly what I did with my car. found it on ebay for 5000, paypalled a deposit of 500, drove from MI to NY and gave him the rest once i got there and determined the car was good. everything worked out great.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Texfinn
it seems like some of the guys here have quite a bit of overdose on that stuff.

Like me? I'm paranoid what can I say
Old 03-20-2008, 03:28 AM
TECH Addict

What's the name and address for this dealer? I'm in NY, maybe I've heard of it and can tell you if it's legit.

Also, how are you planning to get this car to AZ?
Old 03-20-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paypal a deposit if he requires. Also if you could get a address and send a Certified Bank check. If this does happen send priority or overnight mail with delivery confirmation. I live in NJ and my TA was purchased in LA.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wire transfer seems a bit suspicious, but the guy has 100% feed back on 241 items. thats pretty damn good. try contacting a buyer from a previous auction of his and see how his expiercne were with the guy. whats the worst that can happen......loosing $6000 or getting 1 negative feedback?

i also bought my car off eBay. i paid with my debit card after traveling to georgia, checking it out, and test driving it.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:06 AM
Launching!

I had a friend that bought a car off ebay using paypal and everything went fine.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

I would advise against using PayPal. I got burnt once when they didn't want to investigate my case (the truck didn't have any legit paperwork and I was stuck with small claims courts, the seller with unknown address to determine which county court to file the paperwork etc).

Just spend a few minutes and check this site, for example: www.paypalsucks.com
Also, the recent "60 minutes" show on TV about EBay and how they investigate fraud, puts another bitter taste about the whole Ebay-Paypal marriage.

I learnt my lesson - don't ever forward any deposits/cash via wire (paypal), unless you physically examined the vehicle/goods, test drove it etc., then pass over the hard earned cash. Just be patient and find a better deal closer to you.

Some of the guys here who bought cars through ebay/paypal are just lucky. There are decent people out there, but it takes one bastard to mar that image.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found my car on ebay. It was at a dealer in Houston TX. I began talks and told them I was a serious buyer and not a tire kicker. The first did was ask for a ton of pics. Once I looked them over I moved to the next step. I sent them 3k to hold the car via fed ex. I then flew to Houston to see the car in person. Once I looked it over and made sure it was mint as they claimed I bought it. Just cover your *** on this. I talked to these people everyday for about five days to feel them out. Make sure you get pics and video and history on the car. Ask the same questions again and again to see if the story is the same. Since this is at a dealer you are less likely to be scammed. You can never be to careful though.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by darom
Some of the guys here who bought cars through ebay/paypal are just lucky.
I definitely disagree with that statement and will go out on limb and say that it is actually the other way around.
Old 03-22-2008, 01:46 AM
On The Tree

I'd consider using an escrow service if you're not buying from a dealer whose identity and reputation you can verify. You have a middle man hold the money until the car is in your possession and you can make sure it's everything the seller promised. It'll cost $150-$200, but depending on the price of the car that could be a small investment.

Quick Reply: buying car out of state on ebay