General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

what's you favorite part of your car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDM74
I like the idea of the Formula. "what you don't know, can hurt you"

LOL
too true.
Before I saw this car I thought it was the same color as my v6 bird. My fried told me to go down to the city, race every one with the v6 bird, go down with the v8 bird the next night and race for $

Turns out they aren’t the same color... ah well. They would have known something was up when they herd the rumble.

Actully that IS one of the things I love best about my LS1 bird, it looks almost identical to my 3800 bird.

ls1
Old 03-22-2008, 11:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I've either been in, and/or driven, and/or owned everything from Cavaliers to high end Cadillacs to a SRT10 Viper. So I think I'm good on experiance. Not to mention, I've owned about 17 cars in the last ~13 years or so.

On interiors, I'm not sure why people feel that the T/A seats are nicer. I've had both, and frankly I fit PERFECTLY in either seat, and I'm 100% comfortable in both. BTW, I'm 5'9" tall and weigh 175lbs, with an athletic build. An F-body is a perfect fit for me, even after hours of driving.

As for Mustangs of the same era having a significantly nicer interior, all I have to say is I've been in plenty of those as well, they are no better or worse quality than the F-bodies.

Some other thoughts..... I think a lot of the guys that talk about the "awful" build quality might never have owned one of these cars new. I've bought two of my F-bodies new, and three of them used. When you buy something used, especially cars like these that get driven hard, you're not always getting an accurate picture of how the car would have aged had it been properly cared for. Some people treat their cars like a public rest room, but beleive it or not, if you take good care of these cars (inside and out), they age as well as any other car in their price range.

As for the interior rattles, that's just the nature of the beast with a stiff suspension, removable roof car. Sure, they could have used some heavier grade materials, but then you'd have a slower, more expensive car. I think the F-bodies are a good balance, and truth be told, I have yet to own/drive a car that doesn't have some rattles after 5-10 years, no matter what the make/model/suspension type/roof type is. Granted, these cars may rattle a bit more, but it's not that bad in my opinion.

In the end, you might not like the "plastic package" that houses your engine and transmission, but some of us do. I've bought every one of my F-bodies because I liked the entire package, including the interior and exterior. These cars are as close as one can get to an old school muscle car, while still offering such advantages as modern brakes & suspension, fuel injection, decent audio system, A/C, decent MPG, etc. I don't like my muscle cars to be overly refined, and beleive it or not I love the simplicity and rawness of the F-body. I could afford to buy a C5 or C6 tomorrow, but at this point in my life I still need at least one F-body in the garage.

My final thought for now..... if all you like about your car is the LS1/T56, then swap that into a car you like better. No point in keeping something you don't like.
Speak the truth. You took the words right out of my mouth. I love everything about my Trans Am. I have owned 3 and all have treated me right. As for mustangs having better interior I have to disagree. I have been in them before and they are nothing to get excited about. To the OP if you are not satisfied with anything on the car but the drivetrain like rpm said you should get something else like maybe a mustang since you are really a ford guy.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By far, the blow off valve and a 6-speed.. D1SC is the way to go !!! There is nothing like it.. Oh- and for those who hate the interiors- i understand a little- but lt1/ls1 interiors are just like my 68 bigblock 4-speed, and 70 bigblock 4-speed camaro's interiors- they arnt anything fancy- but they get the job done- and still look great! For comfort though- before i got my 01 ss- i had a 05 Gto- and that interior was by far- one of the best interiors i have ever been in... just my 2 cents..
Old 03-22-2008, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech 10 Year

The LS1 and T-56.

I don't think the interiors are that bad. I think they're on par with other cars of the same era and price range.
Old 03-22-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bigblock4-speed
By far, the blow off valve and a 6-speed.. D1SC is the way to go !!! There is nothing like it.. Oh- and for those who hate the interiors- i understand a little- but lt1/ls1 interiors are just like my 68 bigblock 4-speed, and 70 bigblock 4-speed camaro's interiors- they arnt anything fancy- but they get the job done- and still look great! For comfort though- before i got my 01 ss- i had a 05 Gto- and that interior was by far- one of the best interiors i have ever been in... just my 2 cents..
You have a BOV with your D1SC?

My 38mm BOV USE to me my favorite thing about my car.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
You have a BOV with your D1SC?

My 38mm BOV USE to me my favorite thing about my car.
From the air that is not used, and generated from the procharger that isnt used- blows out of a blowoff valve, at least thats what is on the car.. I dont think you call them waste gates- with it not being a turbo car- ive always called it a blow off valve.. My car only runs 8 pounds of boost- so what im refering to is the hissing of air that is generated high revs between shifts.. ??
Old 03-22-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From the air that is not used, and generated from the procharger that isnt used- blows out of a blowoff valve, at least thats what is on the car.. I dont think you call them waste gates- with it not being a turbo car- ive always called it a blow off valve.. My car only runs 8 pounds of boost- so what im refering to is the hissing of air that is generated high revs between shifts.. ??
That is correct. Sometimes its hard to hear but its there
Old 03-22-2008, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Actually - im not sure if it actually is a blow off valve on my car or not- i just went out and checked- its red, says procharger and might be refered to a bypass valve?? Whatever it does- it blows air whenever im driving.. lol
Old 03-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Mine is the thunderous demon noises that emanate when I turn the key forward.
And the fact that after we did the side pipes, it's more reserved (read: you can walk ten feet away and talk) but sacrifices no loudness or bass rumble.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think you call them waste gates- with it not being a turbo car- ive always called it a blow off valve..
Yep that’s what Id call it.
Bov releases excess pressure from the compressed air side.
waste gate re-routs excess pressure from the exhaust side.
So even though its being used as an over boost precaution (super charger application) rather than a turbine stall precaution (turbo application).
Old 03-22-2008, 09:50 PM
Launching!

I would say LS1 motor is my favorite
Old 03-25-2008, 02:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Love my motor,tranny,wheels,aggresive styling,interior

I hate the way TA seats look with the little gay head rest
Old 03-25-2008, 05:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GMmexican
I hate the way TA seats look with the little gay head rest

I know its supposed to be a throw back to the old school ones but come on!! Are they going to go back to just lap belts, front drum brakes, and cable clutches too?
Just because it was part of the original cars doesn’t mean its worth imitating on the new ones.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

i didnt read all 5 pages but i think my fave part of it is the fact its not a ford...im now considered an outsider in my family though...
Old 03-25-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

i like the fact that I can spin the tires in 5 gears. hehe
Old 03-25-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1FST99Z
you are a sick man
Old 03-25-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BadGTho
the T/A seats are nicer... by far.. and in fact turned me away from the camaro... i like to be comfy. but yes, the t/a dash stinks of Grand Am, not Trans Am.... as do the door panels.

you'd have to admit that both interiors are VERY filled with hard brittle plastic that squeeks. in fact, my 3rd gen interior was less plasticy

and in response to your previous... special under 30k.. i dunno, but there are many cars under 30k with better build quality.

and your peeling cardboard door panels in that 3rd gen?? :-P

Had a 94 formula now a 00 Z... the dumdumdumdum's interior is about even with the T/A I like the dash more on the camaro and have grown to like the door panels..

for the money you cant beat these cars they get the same mileage as slower sports cars, way better then any truck you could drive.. are fast as hell with full bolt ons and some suspension/tire .. could go on and on
Old 03-25-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gun5

for the money you cant beat these cars they get the same mileage as slower sports cars, way better then any truck you could drive.. are fast as hell with full bolt ons and some suspension/tire .. could go on and on

couldn’t agree more!
I’ve had 7 3rd gen's and 3 4th gens. Ranging any where from full stock 6 banger to blown 454 power plants.
after the first 4th gen died tragically I sought out different cars that would take its place.
I got lumped with my moms 94 dodge caravan that i swapped a 3000gt vr4 drive train into.
I moved on to a highly modified gc8 impreza.
played around with Toyota supras, early 80's celicas , helped friends dink around with engine swaps into there feiros, helped other friends out with there mustangs of almost all generation from the mustang II on up, and have even helped my brother in law with this mudding trucks….
But nothing I have gotten my hands on so far (except for the 71 hemi cuda I got to take around the block one day ) has ever come close to the look/feel/performance of these little f-bodys.

And thats why after all this time I just sold all the project cars and my ricer daily driver and bought 2 birds
Old 03-26-2008, 02:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1FST99Z
I still beat you by an 1/8th mile.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gun5
and your peeling cardboard door panels in that 3rd gen?? :-P

Had a 94 formula now a 00 Z... the dumdumdumdum's interior is about even with the T/A I like the dash more on the camaro and have grown to like the door panels..

for the money you cant beat these cars they get the same mileage as slower sports cars,

way better then any truck you could drive.. are fast as hell with full bolt ons and some suspension/tire .. could go on and on
I was agreeing with you..... until the next to last last sentence. These cars and a truck (regardless of who makes it) are not designed to do the same things, so it is a pointless comparison. They both have seperate purposes, and I really dont quite understand the point of bringing trucks into a thread about your favorite part of your f-body?

BTW, it's the t-tops and engine combo for me. As well as the fact that I can run 12's and still get upper 20's MPG... but thats not a part