General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

207k Miles + Sea Foam = W-O-W!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be worried about geting pulled over for all the smoke coming out the back.....but I have to do it eventually
Old 03-24-2008, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

Heh, you should have seen my 100k mile Formula. The smoke trail exiting from the side pipes was quite cool I must say. The first time I went WOT a cloud shot out of both pipes and covered the oncoming lane.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was disappointed, when I seafoamed my v6 camaro with 105K on the clock it barely smoked. It was a royal pain getting it through the brake booster line too, hard to get to and then the car wanted to stall out all the time. It smoked some while I was doing it and got a pop of smoke out the back when I first started off but that was it.

I didn't have any deep creep though so maybe that is part of the reason why.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I was disappointed, when I seafoamed my v6 camaro with 105K on the clock it barely smoked. It was a royal pain getting it through the brake booster line too, hard to get to and then the car wanted to stall out all the time. It smoked some while I was doing it and got a pop of smoke out the back when I first started off but that was it.

I didn't have any deep creep though so maybe that is part of the reason why.
It barely smoked while I sucked it up the booster line too. You just have to stall it out on the last part and let it soak in for 10-15 minutes. Then take is for a very demanding drive...
Old 03-24-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rushin
It barely smoked while I sucked it up the booster line too. You just have to stall it out on the last part and let it soak in for 10-15 minutes. Then take is for a very demanding drive...
So after using this stuff you have to basicly got wot, burn out and a few fast runs? Sound fun!
Old 03-24-2008, 03:32 PM
Launching!

used this stuff on my old 140k mile dakota.. went from 15mpg to 17mpg doing nothing else different. also stopped pinging on 87 octane. worth it for sure

tried it in my 97 ram with 150k miles... picked up 1mpg from 13mpg to 14mpg. its worth it for so little work!
Old 03-24-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Besides a smoke show, Seafoam did nothing to my car.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well that's the dumb part of it, wanted to stall out while barely dripping it in (and it did a few times, once popping some blue cloud right in my face!) but when I dumped the last part in it refused to stall, go figure
Old 03-24-2008, 08:07 PM
11 Second Club

I just put some in the gas tank tonight and already changed the oil after driving with sea foam for 100 miles. Wasn't planning on doing the smoke show part, is that the part that gets the best results?
Old 03-24-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by green28
I just put some in the gas tank tonight and already changed the oil after driving with sea foam for 100 miles. Wasn't planning on doing the smoke show part, is that the part that gets the best results?
Yes, it's definitely the most beneficial step. When the seafoam is introduced through the PCV or brake booster line it cleans the entire top end of the motor. Valves, top of the pistons, combustion chamber, ect. It removes all the carbon and gunk build up from the top end.
Old 03-24-2008, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by _JB_
Besides a smoke show, Seafoam did nothing to my car.
That smoke show was all the carbon you introduced to your audience that was built up in your engine. Let's say for example you wear a 10 lb bracelet nonstop on one wrist. Sure you'll get used to it after some time, but a year or so later, you take it off and WHAM! your wrist is useable again! That's how the motor feels. You might not feel the difference, but the internals of the engine do.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Teching In

Is this an LS1 only thing? My LS2 has 70k miles on it, LGM commented that while putting new springs in, the oil looked like it had never been changed ever (which of course was hardly the case). Of course, they also tear into brand new Z06s all day, so...
Old 03-24-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well let me tell ya... i did this to my 150k lt1, and also my 205k saturn... and i **** you not... i could not see my house after doing it in my driveway... and that was just on my car... dad's saturn was ungodly ridiculous... i didnt do the oil treatment either because i dont really trust how my gaskets are holding oil right now anyway, so cleaning up all the buildup that is probably sealing them wouldnt be in my best benefit lol
Old 03-24-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That smoke show was all the carbon you introduced to your audience that was built up in your engine. Let's say for example you wear a 10 lb bracelet nonstop on one wrist. Sure you'll get used to it after some time, but a year or so later, you take it off and WHAM! your wrist is useable again! That's how the motor feels. You might not feel the difference, but the internals of the engine do.
No improved MPG, no improved throttle response, same track times, ect. I figured I would gain a little MPG, but no improvements.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:17 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by _JB_
No improved MPG, no improved throttle response, same track times, ect. I figured I would gain a little MPG, but no improvements.
Less strain on components at the least I would presume. Well, I'm not gonna argue for Sea Foam's cause. I wasn't the one who made it. I'll just say it worked for me.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Teching In

Seafoam is a wonderful thing. I did it last summer and it worked wonders.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:56 PM
11 Second Club

Addition: For the past two days, I've ran the Sea Foam in the crankcase. When I started, my oil psi at idle was around 30 (207k miles); while running the Sea Foam, it gradually kept dropping, until I noticed it was around 10-12 psi at idle. This was only 50 miles into the process. Tonight, I changed the oil, and added some Lucas, and my oil pressure at idle is now around 45. It was pretty unnerving watching the oil pressure stay at 0 after I cranked it up again.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i doid not do the brake booster thing on it because im scared, but i did put it in the oil and the injectors and my oil pressure stoped doing the gitery thing it was doing, and then i did injectors too, i would not say i did anything that i really noticed but i was satisfied with the oil pressure increase..
Old 03-25-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Addition: For the past two days, I've ran the Sea Foam in the crankcase. When I started, my oil psi at idle was around 30 (207k miles); while running the Sea Foam, it gradually kept dropping, until I noticed it was around 10-12 psi at idle. This was only 50 miles into the process. Tonight, I changed the oil, and added some Lucas, and my oil pressure at idle is now around 45. It was pretty unnerving watching the oil pressure stay at 0 after I cranked it up again.
Yep, thats why the sticky on seafoam said not to run it as long as the bottle says in the crank case. I ran my crankcase treatment around 50 miles and did not experience any issues. I assume though your problems are why the sticky said do not do the recommended 100 miles. I have also read some unnerving things about the Lucas treatment in some threads here. Do a search on it and you may want to change your oil again.

A thought on why you lost oil pressure, this may be due to the seafoam actually doing its job. It may have dislodged a piece of gunk/build up that was stuck in the journals of your crank case and it then got stuck to the screen on the oil pump pick up. The crankcase treatment is do remove any build up from oil like paraffin based build up or other grime left by broken down oil.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I am not sure about Seafoam, we tried it in a car applying it through the fuel rail valve using it as a fuel injector celaner.... we used the dispenser made by OTC.... was very hard to use, car wouldn't stay running, we found that in our case, the B12 cleaner worked better.... and the B12 was cheaper also.... like $3 per same presentation as Seafoam.