General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

How'd you learn it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its all bolts...the hard part is remembering where it all went sometimes. Like drum brakes lol. Just learn by trial and error, and a thousand knuckle busts later
Old 03-28-2008, 12:21 AM
12 Second Club

Just start out easy like stated above.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:36 AM
Sex On Wheels

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Breaking stuff and not being able to pay someone to do any work for me. Pretty good incentive to work on it then!

Just doing everything and helping friends on their cars really. The more you do the more comfortable you get and the more tools you start buying. Eventually you'll find yourself willing to do just about anything.

William
Old 03-28-2008, 01:45 AM
Launching!

My dad used to own a junk yard so i started screwin with cars when i was like 5 lol and it just kept going and getting deeper and deeper into them hell by age 7 i was driving stickshift cars trucks end loaders etc sure i had a pillow under my *** but it was all me in the drivers seat. Best time i ever had was rolling over a mid 80s mustang on purpose, guess you could say ive hated fords since lol. I even jumped a 91 camaro 5spd V6 once now that was fun great air with those cars to. I think the grease monkey life was just ment for me.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

I dont know a whole lot about cars, but i just got into about 2 years ago, everything ive learned is from message boards, good friends and just getting in there and gettin my hands dirty and learning from my mistakes..all my mods were done by me and a friend of mine, even though there not that challenging its a start
Old 03-28-2008, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like a few other's, I learned from being around my dad and my uncle's. They've all been into that growing up. Started when I was 14, I'm now 28. I first learned on carb'd motors, but being young my mom wanted something more dependable so at the time, that was what EFI was and still is. So I now have more knowledge about the newer cars than I did about the old style, but basically they are still the same. There's nothing like that feeling of accomplishment when you finish a header install, cam, intake, hell just an air filter when I first started was like Woooohooooo look what I did. None of that can compare to building your first engine. When all that knowledge you have acquired comes together to make this pile of cast iron or aluminum crank on the first try and hear it run. Not only that, but to take it to the track several times and it hold together. I'm getting excited just talking about it. Makes me wanna go pull the LS1 out now and start tearing it down. Back on topic, start small and if you have a knowledgeable friend or family member to help, use them and don't forget to buy them beer and food.