General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Storage questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 01:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storage questions

I plan on taking my car out of storage this morning and was just wondering what you guys do when you take your car out of storage. I know i should change the oil but i was also wondering if it will hurt anything if i drive it work and back the next 3 days before changing the oil on Saturday. Also just curious why you should change your oil before you put your car in storage and after you take it out.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:29 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mikeljohnson03
I plan on taking my car out of storage this morning and was just wondering what you guys do when you take your car out of storage. I know i should change the oil but i was also wondering if it will hurt anything if i drive it work and back the next 3 days before changing the oil on Saturday. Also just curious why you should change your oil before you put your car in storage and after you take it out.
It shouldn't hurt to drive it for a few days before oil change. Just check your tire pressure and fluid levels.

The reason you change your oil before storage is to get rid of the combustion by-products so they don't attack the engine internals.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to change clean oil after storage, unless the car's been stored for a year. I figure, how does your clean oil go bad just sitting? Anyone else have a view on this?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm pretty sure oil will break down eventually just sitting. Most oil companies recommend changing your oil after 6-12 months if you haven't reached the mileage limit first. It should be fine driving it for a few days before changing it though, especially if it's synthetic. Don't forget to check all your fluid levels and tire pressure before driving it.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:12 AM
10 Second Moderator

The biggest and best reason to change oil before doing anything else is condensation caused by temprature changes that occured during the winter months. The water/condensation that is sitting in the bottom of the pan is the first thing your oil pickup gets because water is heavier than oil. Dont run that engine till you change the oil, oil is cheaper than new bearings.

Good luck with that, Tom
Old 04-02-2008, 06:28 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Torkman15
The biggest and best reason to change oil before doing anything else is condensation caused by temprature changes that occured during the winter months. The water/condensation that is sitting in the bottom of the pan is the first thing your oil pickup gets because water is heavier than oil. Dont run that engine till you change the oil, oil is cheaper than new bearings.

Good luck with that, Tom
I've thought about this before but the way my car sits in the garage I cannot change the oil without starting it up and moving it.

I have another question about storage and oil changing. I'm running Asmoil euro. 5w40. How often should I change the oil? I only drive the about 1,000 miles per year and it gets stored from nov-march. Every year except for the last year I've put fresh oil in the spring and then changed it again once I brought it out of storage. Does this seem about right?

Thanks
Old 04-03-2008, 01:34 AM
Launching!

Thanks for all the info guys. I took it to work today and didn`t have a problem. I almost forgot how fun she was to drive. Of course i had to put the battery charger on it first to start it since i forgot to unhook the battery when i put it away. Otherwise i basically checked all fluids tire pressure and will be changing the oil this Saturday. And next time i put it in storage the wheels are coming off because my dumbass didn`t really think you could get flatspots in your tires just by letting it sit and sure as **** now i got them and it feels like i`m driving over speedbumps constantly.