General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Got any insurance tips?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

shop online, "so easy a ls1techmember could do it"
Old 04-04-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

A higher deductable can really lower your insurance premiums. I changed my deductable to $1000 and now my insurance is only $125 a month for full coverage, 22 year old male with clean driving record.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:11 AM
Launching!

I've shopped around, and they're all within $10 (per month) from each other. Go figure.

Well, I guess all I can do then is to let some time pass, and hope that'll get my rates down.

Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it.

/James
Old 04-05-2008, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TUFAS4U
shop online, "so easy a ls1techmember could do it"
LOL, thats funny.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:55 AM
On The Tree

I got my license at 17, but when getting a quote, I enter that I got it at 16. Not sure if it matters, but the point is, they don't know. Do I have a 3.0 GPA so I qualify for a good student discount? Most definitely. Or at least that's what I tell them. I really don't know my GPA since I just transfered to a new college. The insurance companies I've dealt with never ask for proof of anything.

I also save about $600 a year by putting my significant other first on the policy (older with better credit) and adding me as an insured driver. I list our relationship as husband & wife even though we're not married. Believe it or not, many insurance companies charge more for single/divorced/widowed people.

Bumping my collision deductible from $500 to $1,000 saves me about $125 a year. I've already gone 5 years w/o an accident, who's to say I couldn't go another 5 years or more. And the money I saved in premiums will offset at least some, if not all, of the extra cost. If an accident is not my fault, I can sue the other driver for the deductible.

Get some quotes from other companies. I've gotten low rates from Progressive and AAA. Are you a member of any big organizations? Some have affiliations w/ insurance companies to offer member discounts (Ex: NRA members get a discount with AIG). I wouldn't recommend State Farm or Ameriprise since they do hard credit checks (and I just plain hate State Farm). And keep in mind when filling out the quotes...they don't know.

Last edited by cool whip; 04-07-2008 at 01:00 AM.