General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Could use some advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironxcross
Yeah, I've driven F-bodies with the automatic with both the LT1 and LS1, every time I have been disappointed. The manual is just better IMHO. Wait for the stalled/geared auto guys to come in here and tell me how they'll destroy me from a roll or dig or whatever. It's just not fun to me, my car is a daily driver, I get a big kick out of rowing gears and good mileage on the highway. Maybe I'm just weird.
dude!! im an Automatic stalled guy and i would rock any of your 6spd manuals!!! stalled auto's for the win!!! From a roll or a stop or whatever. lol jk. Each to his own tho. Manuals are pretty fun
Old 04-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
WTF?

Since when is an LS1 exhaust note "weak"?

-1 on hating automatics, but +1 on hating manuals. Shifting is a hassle. Just thought I'd stir the pot a bit.
RPM,

It's common knowledge . Every LS1 owner knows that it's exhaust note can't compare to an LT1's. Different firing order, block material = Deeper/Better tone
Old 04-14-2008, 03:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,726 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by COD02SS
RPM,

It's common knowledge . Every LS1 owner knows that it's exhaust note can't compare to an LT1's. Different firing order, block material = Deeper/Better tone
You're right about that, the LS1 note can't compare because it's in a league faaaar above the LT1, thus a comparison would be pointless.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WTF?

-1 on hating automatics, but +1 on hating manuals. Shifting is a hassle. Just thought I'd stir the pot a bit.
we could go at this all day (again) i've already offered to teach you how to drive stick if shifting seems complicated

Old 04-14-2008, 03:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by BadGTho
we could go at this all day (again) i've already offered to teach you how to drive stick if shifting seems complicated

I've never understood what's so fun about grabbing a stick and yanking it around. Then again, I'm into women so maybe that's why I don't get it....

Old 04-14-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1fastz
dude!! im an Automatic stalled guy and i would rock any of your 6spd manuals!!! stalled auto's for the win!!! From a roll or a stop or whatever. lol jk. Each to his own tho. Manuals are pretty fun
Yes! You made my day!

hahaha
Old 04-14-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've never understood what's so fun about grabbing a stick and yanking it around. Then again, I'm into women so maybe that's why I don't get it....

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapppppppppppppppppp ppppp

it's funny how in the F body community, standards mean you're gay (apparently) whereas in most car enthusiast circles it's the other way around.

i am going to assume that it's because about 70% of 4th gens are auto.. and there are alot of bitter owners.

it's cool.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Banned

You're right about that, the LS1 note can't compare because it's in a league faaaar above the LT1, thus a comparison would be pointless.
If the LT1 had 195cc heads and a thermoplastic intake manifold from the factory it would

I think it has 195cc heads. Could be wrong
Old 04-14-2008, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapppppppppppppppppp ppppp

it's funny how in the F body community, standards mean you're gay (apparently) whereas in most car enthusiast circles it's the other way around.

i am going to assume that it's because about 70% of 4th gens are auto.. and there are alot of bitter owners.

it's cool.
Its definitely a jealously thing. Without a doubt.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:07 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

it's funny how in the F body community, standards mean you're gay (apparently)
You are taking my comment way too seriously if you actually beleive that. All in good fun man. Anyone that thinks someone else is "gay" or "less manly" because of their trans type is probably so deep into the closet themselves that they're finding Christmas presents hidden in 1983.

Bitter? Why would I be bitter? I buy autos because that's what I like, not because I've "settled" for it. Why would anyone be bitter about getting what they wanted? No one should ever settle for a trans type they don't like, I'll be the first to tell anyone that.

If anything I think it's the M6 owners that really take this stuff personally. I mean, we auto guys get bashed constantly, yet (for the most part), we take it in stride and toss a few comments back in our defense....but mostly we're good sports about it. You M6 people though....holy crap, all we have to do is mention how M6s aren't the best or most fun choice for everyone/every situation, and it's like we've just smashed a beehive with a sledgehammer.

Its definitely a jealously thing. Without a doubt.

Wow, how wrong you are!

I've passed up sooo many M6 cars when shopping for the various F-bodies I've owned. There never seems to be a shortage of low mileage M6 cars in my area. Probably because their owners get sick of shifting in constant Chicago traffic and seldom drive the cars. A4s with low miles are hard to find around here.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:26 PM
TECH Addict

Haha, you know I'm just messing with you RPM, if you do find any cheap low mile m6 cars, let me know, it might be worth the trip out there!
Old 04-14-2008, 06:38 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Haha, you know I'm just messing with you RPM, if you do find any cheap low mile m6 cars, let me know, it might be worth the trip out there!

I could find you a low mile M6 car no problem, but the "cheap" part.... THAT would be a problem. Nothing around here is cheap.... houses, cars, gas....all very high in Chicagoland.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

I could find you a low mile M6 car no problem, but the "cheap" part.... THAT would be a problem. Nothing around here is cheap.... houses, cars, gas....all very high in Chicagoland.
Well that sucks. I'm in the same boat here in New Jersey. All the decent ls1 f-bods are 12k plus. Even the beat up 150k+ automatic 98 camaros with torn interiors are going for $8500.

It really does suck being a poor college student. Ugh.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would definately drive one if you haven't yet. When I switched from my LT1 to the LS1 I was shocked at the difference in the two motors. The LS1 with my Borla cutout open was only a little louder then the LT1 with it closed. The power bands between the two engines are totally different as well. My stock bolt on LT1 was running out of breath at 4.5k and the LS1 was turing into a monster at that RPM. Biggest thing I had to get used to was the lack of low end tourque. I must have stall the thing 20 times in the first week couse I didn't give it enough gas on take off. On the + side though, it's easier to manage/avoid tire spin on launch.

And last but not least. A bolt on LT1 with a stock cam and heads makes maybe 310 RWHP, an LS1 makes upwards of 350 RWHP. You need ported heads and a Hot cam in a LT1 to make those numbers. It's also common to make 400 RWHP with a cam only LS1.

Re'
Old 04-14-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went from a 96 Z28 M6 to a 01 WS6 M6 and the difference was night and day. I buy LT1 cars now because they can be had at cheap prices, fixed and sold to make some money for mods. I would never again daily drive an LT1, I just dont care for them. The motor is great other than the opti, I am putting on in my 55 Chevy truc right now. But there is ALOT more room to work in that engine bay.

IMO get the LS1, but if you modded the LT1 im sure you wouldnt be dissapinted either.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I really enjoy the low end grunt of my lt1 for daily driving. Makes cruising really easy. Tire spin when racing is a total bitch. But then again, I can slip the clutch at idle with a little gas and not stall. So theres a give and take. If I had the money to spare, I think I'd make the move.