General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Do F-body's make downforce?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Shooter_Jay
incomplete maybe but inaccurate, I don't think so.
Could you provide a more complete explanation of why it is accurate then? I don't really see it. You were correct on the pressure part, just the velocity/distance thing I'm talking about.

thus the partial college course proof...
not sure I understand you. care to elaborate?

All I'm saying is, the distance the air travels over the top vs the bottom has very little to do with lift being generated, otherwise you would still see a lot of lift at zero angle of attack, but that is not the case. It is the air being deflected (thereby causing a lower velocity and higher pressure along the bottom) that generates the lift.

Last edited by infinitebird; 05-04-2008 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wont argue with anyones explanations on lift theory since im ignorant to the subject my self.

Reguardless of the correct scientific explanation of how lift is achieved there is a significant amount of lift created over the rear of our cars at extreme speeds... this cannot be argued. 98% of the cars on this site will never reach those speeds or be able to sustain those speeds for any period of time.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by infinitebird
Could you provide a more complete explanation of why it is accurate then? I don't really see it. You were correct on the pressure part, just the velocity/distance thing I'm talking about.

not sure I understand you. care to elaborate?

All I'm saying is, the distance the air travels over the top vs the bottom has very little to do with lift being generated, otherwise you would still see a lot of lift at zero angle of attack, but that is not the case. It is the air being deflected (thereby causing a lower velocity and higher pressure along the bottom) that generates the lift.

Not sure how you drive relative to the angle of attack, but my car leads with the nose, so the air comes straight at the nose, kind of takes the angle of attack out of the equation.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by theycallmealex89
when is the last time you went 180. whens the last time you went 180 and made ANY turn? i wouldnt try it, but you let me know how that goes, if you can control your car with all the sweat on your palms. and yes f1 cars are sweet and turn. but thats not even remotely close to a real car. if someone wanted, they could take a nascar car and put the interior back in.

edit: and seat 5.
Reallly? I'de like you to show me the interior that came out of them...and no I dont think ANY type of unmoddified interior could be put into a nascar.
And I've been well over 160 in my car, and over 170 on a bike so I dont think the "sweat on my palms" would prevent me from driving some nascar.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NSSANE02
Reallly? I'de like you to show me the interior that came out of them...and no I dont think ANY type of unmoddified interior could be put into a nascar.
And I've been well over 160 in my car, and over 170 on a bike so I dont think the "sweat on my palms" would prevent me from driving some nascar.
dude, you're so wrong, I bet you could get some of the carpeting in there
Old 05-05-2008, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

dude, you're so wrong, I bet you could get some of the carpeting in there
Damnit, you got me there...
Old 05-05-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Not sure how you drive relative to the angle of attack, but my car leads with the nose, so the air comes straight at the nose, kind of takes the angle of attack out of the equation.
lol yeah, which is precisely why it doesn't generate much lift, and keeps the car on the ground. That's the whole point.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by infinitebird
lol yeah, which is precisely why it doesn't generate much lift, and keeps the car on the ground. That's the whole point.
Ok now you say it doesn't generate much lift, didn't you say before it generated downforce?

Anyway we're probably not going to agree much. I reiterate my understanding that if you go fast enough (250?,350?) in a car with no downforce added, the car will lift off the ground, likely the rear before the front, not for weight distribution, but for aerodynamics.

Ok, now you can say I'm wrong and explain why by saying something that doesn't point out why I'm wrong again

Quick Reply: Do F-body's make downforce?