General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Got pulled over twice in 15 minutes in Nowata Co. Oklahoma for exhaust. Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 12:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a copy of the state law they are referring to. In Louisiana it is written so that any exhaust that is modified "specifically to make the vehicle louder" is illegal so I argued that other mods (internal) were the reason my car was loud and therefore this law did not apply and I got off the hook. Call them on it and see how it goes. If you lose, get the hell out of there.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Arrow

I know this is an old post but I would like to get it going again.. I got pulled over last night leaving foss lake in oklahoma and I was driving like a grandmother and got pulled over, cop comes to window and asks for my liscense and insurance blah blah blah, then goes back to his car leaving me and my girlfriend sit there for 20 minutes confused to why we got pulled over then he comes back and issues me a citation for "modification to exhaust to increse noise" $211.50! I snickered as I was signing the ticket and he asked if I needed an envelope to mail my payment in.. I laughed and said no I will not need that envelope then he said he'd see me january 18th at the arapaho court house. (I really wish that guy wasn't a cop)

Does anyone know an easy way to get out of this ticket?

BTW I've been at stop lights with police in my home town (ElkCity, OK) and they only turn there head to check out my car. I've even unknowingly launched at about 4,000rpm playing with a friend with an SUV cop behind me and I realized what I was doing before I broke the speed limit by to much and shut her down so I was alright and that guy didn't give me an exhaust ticket.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

My dad was also pulled over for this bull **** by a a state trooper in OK. He has a knock-off Flowmaster on his 98 Dodge Ram. Now that is just stupid!
Old 12-29-2011, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

My brother was running open headers on his Truck for like 2 weeks here in Haskell and never had a problem. Haskell is like 65 mile south of Nowata and is WAY smaller. Never had any problems with cops here and my car has 5% tint.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Banned

I have 5% tint and kooks exhauat which is loud and got pulled over i just told em it was stock. They cant say if its stock or not.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:35 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Anytime I got tickets I always got receipts saying I fixed the problem and they threw them out. I've had well over 10 improper equipment tickets. The window tint is the number 1 attention getter. Unless a cop gets right behind you and hears it as long as you don't drive aggressive you can get by. Road checks get you to. I got 4 at once tint, exhaust, tag cover, tail light covers.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Teching In

I mean what gets me is that we're not causing harm to anyone not even ourselves by having modified exhuast, dark tint, loud speakers exc. but yet they give us tickets left and right when they should be spending there time cracking down on meth heads and drug dealers and people who are just POS's in my case I was driving easy having an enjoyable time relaxing at the lake with my girlfriend and he gives me a ticket because of my exhaust and also half *** searched my car for alchohol or drugs... its an embarrassment that people like that our allowed to "protect" our communities. All this guy is is a power hungry a$$hole
Old 12-30-2011, 02:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is the end of the month. Sounds like this guy is trying to get his Quota filled.

There is no "Easy Way" to get out of a ticket, but you should definitely go to the Court Date. If the ******* wants to pull you over just to jerk you around about loud exhaust, you should be more than happy to return the favor by making him prove why he did it in front of a judge. (Although most of the time the judge will believe the officer's lies over whatever you have to say.) Make the ***** prove your exhaust was beyond the decibel that is allowed by law. If he can't, then I'd say you have a pretty good chance of winning. And if by some chance he can, at least you got to drag the ****** into court. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Look up the actual statue and take it from there.

In Florida the statute states you're not allowed to modify your exhaust to bypass pollution control devices, make it louder, or deviate from stock form and function. Pretty much anything other than stock or exact stock replacement is technically illegal. This law is hardly enforced unless you drive an obnoxious four banger or it really is retarded loud and offensive.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:33 AM
Teching In

Well I got pulled over again last night but it was for my fog lights this time.. and do you wanna know what the first thing the cop said to me was.. -"I love your liscense plate! That is bad ***!! My first muscle car as a teenager was a firebird!"- then asked me to turn my fog lights off for oncoming traffic unless it was foggy or rainy. He never once said a word about my exhaust.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02ws.sik
I have 5% tint and kooks exhauat which is loud and got pulled over i just told em it was stock. They cant say if its stock or not.
Not true, at least not in FL. Most cops know what the legal window tint level is. Here in FL it's 30% for the side windows and 15% for the rear in a coup (i think that's right for the rear). They can pull you over and simply slide a tester over the window and viola, illegal tint fine.
Chances are any car that is moderately loud is not stock, so that's a pretty easy distinction.

To the OP: take Deviant LS1's advice.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:49 AM
11 Second Club

With that stupid of a cop I would've just said it is stock exhaust the engines just so powerful it makes the car that loud
Old 12-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sladester2
With that stupid of a cop I would've just said it is stock exhaust the engines just so powerful it makes the car that loud
I wish there was a like button on ls1tech like there is on facebook lol
Old 12-30-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I love these threads about guys complaining about getting pulled over when they knowingly violate the law.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by APG12
I love these threads about guys complaining about getting pulled over when they knowingly violate the law.
Lol, So do you know the law for modified exhaust in Oklahoma or do you know if there even is one? Because if you could find that law I'd love to hear it.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb

LOL with all the bozos on mobile phones not paying attention, it is a safety issue for ALL vehicles, IMHO.

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
Bikes typically get away with having loud exhaust because it is a safety issue. A loud bike is less likely to get merged into by a mom on her cell phone.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HurleyStreetracer
Lol, So do you know the law for modified exhaust in Oklahoma or do you know if there even is one? Because if you could find that law I'd love to hear it.
Hey Man, I've been driving cars with modified exhaust for over a decade in Oklahoma. So I've done some research on the laws. Unless it's been changed in the past few years the way it read is this. If an exhaust is modified in any way that increases the volume of the exhaust it's illegal. So even if all you've done is replace the stock muffler with a flowmaster muffler, the car has technically been illegally modified. The enforcing of this law is very hit or miss. I've never been hassled running GMMG with stock cats.
Good luck, I Hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kkslds
Yea we go to mokan too. The drive to Mokan seems like it takes forever though. I know that moving or deleting the cats is illegal but these guys are arguing that ANY aftermarket exhaust is illigal and they would give a ticket. So a flowmaster catback that says 50 state legal is not legal according to them. I agree on the bikes. They shouldnt be able to have straight pipes.

I wonder about requesting a db test next time. I heard it can be done only by ceritfied officers and a certified tester. I'm sure these cops dont have one or are they certified and their opinion shouldnt be enough to give a ticket. If its to loud prove it. If they cant than leave us alone. I was thinkin there was an article about exhaust and nitrous in a recent gm high tech. Anyone remember what it said?
I have that article at the house. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I found 2 of them.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...k/viewall.html

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...s/viewall.html
Old 12-30-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I also found this forum that discusses the sound law in OK.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214280

Here is what was written in one of the post. Looks like somebody found the law and put it up for everybody to see.

These are the three ordinances I'm familiar with here in Tulsa, the last is a little loose and can be utilized as a meet and greet for w&w's at any given time.

SECTION 644. ZONE OF QUIET
All the territory within three hundred (300) feet of the premises of any hospital is
hereby created and established as a zone of quiet, with or without the erection of
authorized signs, and no person operating a vehicle within such zone shall sound the
horn or other warning device or create any unnecessary noise except in an emergency.

Fine:
644 Creation of Unnecessary Noise Within 300 Feet of a Hospital Quiet Zone $ 80.00

SECTION 721. MUFFLERS, PREVENTION OF NOISE
Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working
order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise and annoying
smoke, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, by-pass or similar device upon a motor
vehicle on any street or highway. No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor
vehicle in any manner which will amplify or increase the noise or sound emitted louder
than that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle.
Ord. No. 13642

Fine:
721 Improper, Modified, Loud, or Annoying Smoke-Emitting Muffler $ 25.00

SECTION 662. PROHIBITED VEHICLE SOUND AMPLIFICATION
SYSTEMS.
A. No person operating or occupying a motor vehicle on a street, highway,
alley, parking lot, or driveway shall operate or permit the operation of any sound
amplification system from the vehicle so that the sound is audible at a distance of fifty (50)
or more feet from the vehicle.
B. "Sound amplification system" means any radio, tape player, compact disc
player, loud speaker, or other electronic device used for the amplification of sounds
including, without limitation, sounds created by human voice or musical instrumentation.
C. "Audible" means any sound produced by a sound amplification system from
within the vehicle, regardless of whether the vehicle is operating or occupied, which can
be heard at a distance of fifty (50) feet or more. Measurement standards shall be by the
auditory senses, based upon direct line of sight. Words or phrases need not be discernible
and base reverberations are included. The motor vehicle may be in any public or private
location.
D. It is an affirmative defense to a charge under this section that the operator
was not otherwise prohibited by law from operating the sound amplification system, and
that any of the following apply:
1. The system was being operated to request medical or vehicular assistance
or to warn of a hazardous road condition;
2. The vehicle was an emergency or public safety vehicle;
3. The vehicle was owned and operated by the City of Tulsa, or public or
private utility company;
4. The vehicle was used in authorized public activities, such as parades,
fireworks, sports events, or other activities which have been approved by the City Council;
5. The vehicle was operating in the daytime in a residential area where the
speed limit is 25 miles per hour or less.

Fine:
E. Every person violating any provision of this section shall be guilty of an
offense and, upon conviction, shall be punished by a fine not exceeding TWO HUNDRED
DOLLARS ($200.00), excluding costs, fees and assessments.
Ord. Nos. 18908, 19491
Old 12-30-2011, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is how they make their money. Look up the law and if you can make your car fit that law before you go back to court? If you really want to press it when you get in court and think you are losing you could say that you don't understand and ask for time to Lawyer up.....that is if you think you can win. The reason I say that is because if he got you once and this is where you live he can get you again. ask me how I know..lol. I used to live in NJ and the cops there really suck. Trooper pulled me and my 95 Z28 gave me a ticket and i asked about his shoulder patch. Says NJ State police huh should say NJ Police State! needless to say he did not care for that much. LOL Already got the ticket so what the hell.

Quick Reply: Got pulled over twice in 15 minutes in Nowata Co. Oklahoma for exhaust. Help