General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Got pulled over twice in 15 minutes in Nowata Co. Oklahoma for exhaust. Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So basicaly I could say that this car has had a new motor put in it due to the last one blowing up on the previous owner so he put this more powerful motor in and put new exhaust with mufflers on it (which it has) and if the judge is in a half *** mood he should drop the charge or atleast put me on a 6 month probation to get it fixed?
oh and I got this ticket in a different county that I dont live in. I was actually leaving foss lake at about 12:30.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HurleyStreetracer
Lol, So do you know the law for modified exhaust in Oklahoma or do you know if there even is one? Because if you could find that law I'd love to hear it.
Lol I didn't before hand but one can only assume. I'd be willing to bet that every state has a similar law regarding the modifications of stock exhaust. However, with a two minute google search (using my phone) I came up with this:

§47-12-402.

Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in
good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or
unusual noise and annoying smoke, and no person shall use a muffler
cut-out, bypass or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway.
No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in any
manner which will amplify or increase the noise or sound emitted
louder than that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the
vehicle.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

And this is why I put a SLP Dual Dual on my car, it's quiet with lt's and no cats if you're not on the gas (around cops), but get on it and you'll turn heads, we too have Barny Fifes cops, lol
Old 12-31-2011, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Hey Fellas, I'm sure glad I don't work in OK. Here in WI, we must be a bit more lenient on exhaust enforcement. By saying "we" I mean ME, since I'm one of those on the "dark side". I guess I'm lucky because at my department, we are fairly young in age across the board and most of us either have a fast car, sled, or bike. I've driven a built '70 Mustang, an '01 WS6, a 9 second '65 Belvedere, and now a pretty heavily modded '02 WS6 in the last ten years on the street, so I have to "choose my words carefully" here.
I will say that usually I only see people get stopped for exhaust when they're hammering on their ride in a bad spot. In my experience, the best "sound control" device is your right foot. Obviously what I drive, and the other beasts I've driven over the last ten years, would make me a hypocrite if I pounded them regularly on the street. Remember, there's always a time and a place. Stupid places and stupid times are when you get the most heat.
Statutory language is one thing enforcing it is another. Most patrol officers dont have decibel meters, haven't used them regularly, and if they do there could be a question of whether or not its calibrated and certified.
I think most coppers are respectful of power, not noise (why do you think we want the fastest cars we can??) What pisses me off are ricers with fart cans and bikes that are louder than an 8second drag car but go 0-60 in about ten minutes. To me those types of vehicles are just obnoxious. A hot rod on the other hand, is something we put our time in, drive well, and if someone damaged it on purpose we would probably cave their head in (or at least want to).
My best advice if being harassed would be to admit you were driving like a jackwagon (if you really were), .......and show them your car. Let them know you give a damn about it, put time in it, and know what the hell you are doing. That, most of them will respect and understand. There are a few hard-heads that will harp about emissions equipment and CAFE standards, but they're a minority and two years from retirement, I guess I will have to apologize now if you get stuck with one of them.
Just remember, most of us are gearheads of one sort or another. But like any factory, office, or construction job, or anything else....there are people that go to extremes and dont seem to get along well with others.
Good luck, and keep the drag radial manufacturers in business
Old 02-25-2012, 08:24 AM
On The Tree

Default Resurrection

Been reading and have one to add. My son's buddy just went to court a couple of weeks ago for the same bs. He has 50's flow masters and was given a must appear. When the officer heard him he (officer) was driving by and claims he heard the car while he was sitting on the side of the road idling. Hmmm. Well, the outcome wasn't good for him. Even with a lawyer, he was told the exhaust must be removed and said vehicle brought back for re-evaluation. Now, I'm usually respectfull (because i know the crazy crap they have to deal with on a daily basis) when it comes to the police but this is bs. Why, because I know the state policeman that issued the ticket and half of the men in his family and their buddies drive diesel trucks (you know....the ones with excess soot blowing out of the exhaust on a deep tune) with exhaust so loud it makes the windows in my house rattle when they go by the house. That is why I lose respect for SOME police more and more every day!! Goes right along with them issuing blue line stickers to anyone they know.

What I'm going to do. Electric cut outs behind the 40's. With it on, it'll go through an additional muffler, with it off....40's only.

Ok...I've vented. LOL's.

ADD: What's even more hilarious, is the same state police officer, I've known since we were kids, his parents live three houses down from me, and directly across from their house is a rookie state policeman, just hired, and he drives a new Mustang Roush that is louder than my Road King. BTW, I've befriended him. Real nice young fella. I can tell he's going to be a good one if he doesn't get pulled into the political bs this area is known for.

David

Last edited by Stovebolter; 02-25-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:52 AM

I have a Flowmaster 40, I have friends with 40s, 44s, and even super 10s and straight pipes. We go through all different towns and places in Oklahoma (We live in Norman and Purcell). We have never had a problem with our exhausts being modified. The only time we have ever received tickets, we had been having fun in a parking lot one night and the cops laughed and said our rides were nice. One of my buddies was dumb enough to ask if his straights were illegal, and the cops said they thought it was illegal but they don't know the specific laws, so all it really does is draw attention to your car if you are doing something else illegal. My guess is you caught a guy who either studies those small overlooked laws, or you did something else wrong and the exhaust brought attention to it, so he pulled out his handy dandy law book and found out what the easier ticket would be to give you without any court arguments.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt, first post on a 9 year old thread...
Old 04-10-2021, 12:33 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt E
I have a Flowmaster 40, I have friends with 40s, 44s, and even super 10s and straight pipes. We go through all different towns and places in Oklahoma (We live in Norman and Purcell). We have never had a problem with our exhausts being modified. The only time we have ever received tickets, we had been having fun in a parking lot one night and the cops laughed and said our rides were nice. One of my buddies was dumb enough to ask if his straights were illegal, and the cops said they thought it was illegal but they don't know the specific laws, so all it really does is draw attention to your car if you are doing something else illegal. My guess is you caught a guy who either studies those small overlooked laws, or you did something else wrong and the exhaust brought attention to it, so he pulled out his handy dandy law book and found out what the easier ticket would be to give you without any court arguments.
Come to California where a loud exhaust will get you life in prison....
The following users liked this post:
Che70velle (04-11-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,887 Likes on 1,363 Posts

Cops are looking for reasons to pull a vehicle over so don't give them one. Believe me I know it sucks being pulled over in the middle of the night because your headlight or taillight is out but 9 times out of 10 if your not out doing things you shouldn't be and your not being a smart *** then you'll usually get away with just a warning. And in case you didn't know they all seem to be a detective in a sense so be prepared to be looked at as if your under investigation because truth be told, you actually are.
Old 06-12-2021, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman02
...Here in WI, we must be a bit more lenient on exhaust enforcement. By saying "we" I mean ME, since I'm one of those on the "dark side". I guess I'm lucky because at my department, we are fairly young in age across the board and most of us either have a fast car, sled, or bike....
Also in WI and this mirrors my experience. Cops don’t usually mess with you unless you need a messing with. None of my diesel trucks or fast cars have had any sort of emissions device or muffler besides a resonator or a performance muffler. Some of them neither.

Don’t look like a hoodlum driving around in a beat to **** civic bumping horrid bass and revving your fart can at 2 AM and you won’t have problems. Always assumed that was status quo everywhere.

Quick Reply: Got pulled over twice in 15 minutes in Nowata Co. Oklahoma for exhaust. Help