General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

how to tell if its a real firehawk?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to tell if its a real firehawk?

how do u tell if this is a real firehawk convertible it a 2001 auto with 13k and they only want 15k for it and it runs and drives good.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

should be a code on the door sticker, im not sure off hand what it is though also look for the slp sticker on the door, if it really is a true hawk then that is a great deal
Old 05-15-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can call SLP with the VIN and they will verify it. Say you are a dealer and you need it done right now if they try to call you back

There will also be a tag on the passenger door stating the options and the different tire sizes on the drivers door
Old 05-15-2008, 10:29 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Found this in the stickies

How to Tell an SS/WS6/Firehawk is Real
  • SS = WU8 RPO Code
  • WS6 = WS6 (crafty huh) RPO Code
  • Firehawk = WU6 RPO Code
RPO code list can be found on the inside of the DRIVERS side door where it latches. IF you dont have an above code you dont have a real SS/WS6/Firehawk. SS/Firehawks with SLP options will have the options list code on the Passenger inside door pannel. If you dont have that list it means you just have a regular SS/Firehawk w/o SLP options.

SLP made the SS until " " when GM started building them inhouse. ASC did all the WS6 conversions and SLP did all the Firehawks.
  • Differences from WS6 and 'Hawk

Looks and OPTIONS yes, gears no. All LS1 Firebirds wheather they were WS6's or regular T/A or Formulas that were ordered as Autos (A4's) came w/3:23's. All that were ordered as 6-speeds (m6's) came w/3:42's. WS6's, Firehawks, and regular birds wheather T/A or Formula share identical drivetrains an LS1 350 coupled to a M6 or A4 tranny. As far as looks goes? That's in the eye of the beholder. The Firehawks have a little more than looks over the WS6's which is mainly options and rarity. Firehawks came stock w/3" intermediate exhaust w/dual-dual tips. WS6's on the other hand came w/2.5" intermediate exhaust w/single-single exhaust with the exception of the '98 WS6 which had single left side exhaust. Firehawks also came with a slightly different designed 5-spoke wheel which you could order in 2 different finishes: Stock flat aluminum gray, or Option triple-chrome plated (real chrome) not a high polished aluminum like WS6's. Now to the hoods. Firhawk hoods are functional Ram-Airs as well as the heat-extractors (located on top corners of the hood) just a different design. Hawk hoods are more of a composite 1-piece that is designed specifically to fit with the front facia of the Hawk. WS6 hoods are a composite 2-piece hood which is just a regular Firebird hood with 2 air inlets molded to the top, thus giving that 4 nostril look. This hood can be bolted to any regular Formula or T/A bird without any fitting problems. Unlike the Hawk hoods which must be fitted with the slightly different designed front facia of the Hawk. Now, everything I just mentioned to you was standard equipment for Hawks. What really separated the two were the extra SLP options that were available for Hawks which were:

-Firehawk embroidered floor mats
    -Bilstein Suspension '99-'02 or 1LE '01-'02
    -Specific triple-chrome plated Firehawk wheels
    -Lower rear-deck SLP spoiler which were standard on Anniv. Hawks

(HAWKMAN_)
For more SS/WS6/Hawk info check the "Special Editions" forum.

im tired of seeing threads asking if my SS/WS6/T/A/Z28 is real. here are a set of instructions on finding out exactly what it is and obtaining legit proof.

1. Take VIN to GM dealership
2. Go to Parts and Service
3. Give them your VIN and ask them for a build sheet and window sticker on your car.
4. if you dont want to pay, ask them to confirm if it is real or not.

SLP/ASC specific cars.
Call SLP or ASC with your VIN and have them verify if it is a true SS/WS6
SLP did the SS and Firehawks
ASC did the T/A's

Phone numbers and addresses:

ASC:
1 ASC Center
Southgate, MI
Phone: 734-285-4911

SLP:
1501 Industrial Way North
Tom River, NJ
Phone: 734-349-2109
Fax: 732-244-0867

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....7&postcount=19
Old 05-15-2008, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

thanx for the help guys
Old 05-15-2008, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

All LS1 Firebirds wheather they were WS6's or regular T/A or Formulas that were ordered as Autos (A4's) came w/3:23's. m6's) came w/3:42's.

Some A4's came with 2.73's
Old 05-16-2008, 01:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by robdawg13
All LS1 Firebirds wheather they were WS6's or regular T/A or Formulas that were ordered as Autos (A4's) came w/3:23's. m6's) came w/3:42's.

Some A4's came with 2.73's
Thats what i was thinking. Wish i knew what mine had in it for gears cuz i wanna change mine to 3.73s but if i already got the 3.23s i don`t know if it be worth it but i don`t even wanna know the cost of doing it even though i`d do it myself i`m sure its not cheap.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mikeljohnson03
Thats what i was thinking. Wish i knew what mine had in it for gears cuz i wanna change mine to 3.73s but if i already got the 3.23s i don`t know if it be worth it but i don`t even wanna know the cost of doing it even though i`d do it myself i`m sure its not cheap.
First of all it would still be worth the gear change.
Second of all, it's not hard to figure out your gear ration. Next time you're out for a drive keep track of what gear you're in, what speed you're going, and the engine rpm and you could calculate it from that or use one of the online calculators.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ALL auto, SS, WS6 or Firehawk automatic cars, got the performance axle option of 3.23 gears.

Non SS/WS6/Firehawk cars, were dependant of the option codes, Look on the door sticker
GU2 = 2.73
GU5 = 3.23 gears.
GU6 = 3.42 gears (M6 only)

Ryan
Old 05-17-2008, 02:56 AM
Launching!

Thanks I never knew there was a code on the door for it. Also what would the cost of a new set of good 3.73 gears cost me and how hard is the install?
Old 09-13-2017, 11:59 AM

Default Exhaust comment

Originally Posted by Z28/2002
Found this in the stickies

How to Tell an SS/WS6/Firehawk is Real
  • SS = WU8 RPO Code
  • WS6 = WS6 (crafty huh) RPO Code
  • Firehawk = WU6 RPO Code
RPO code list can be found on the inside of the DRIVERS side door where it latches. IF you dont have an above code you dont have a real SS/WS6/Firehawk. SS/Firehawks with SLP options will have the options list code on the Passenger inside door pannel. If you dont have that list it means you just have a regular SS/Firehawk w/o SLP options.

SLP made the SS until " " when GM started building them inhouse. ASC did all the WS6 conversions and SLP did all the Firehawks.
  • Differences from WS6 and 'Hawk

Looks and OPTIONS yes, gears no. All LS1 Firebirds wheather they were WS6's or regular T/A or Formulas that were ordered as Autos (A4's) came w/3:23's. All that were ordered as 6-speeds (m6's) came w/3:42's. WS6's, Firehawks, and regular birds wheather T/A or Formula share identical drivetrains an LS1 350 coupled to a M6 or A4 tranny. As far as looks goes? That's in the eye of the beholder. The Firehawks have a little more than looks over the WS6's which is mainly options and rarity. Firehawks came stock w/3" intermediate exhaust w/dual-dual tips. WS6's on the other hand came w/2.5" intermediate exhaust w/single-single exhaust with the exception of the '98 WS6 which had single left side exhaust. Firehawks also came with a slightly different designed 5-spoke wheel which you could order in 2 different finishes: Stock flat aluminum gray, or Option triple-chrome plated (real chrome) not a high polished aluminum like WS6's. Now to the hoods. Firhawk hoods are functional Ram-Airs as well as the heat-extractors (located on top corners of the hood) just a different design. Hawk hoods are more of a composite 1-piece that is designed specifically to fit with the front facia of the Hawk. WS6 hoods are a composite 2-piece hood which is just a regular Firebird hood with 2 air inlets molded to the top, thus giving that 4 nostril look. This hood can be bolted to any regular Formula or T/A bird without any fitting problems. Unlike the Hawk hoods which must be fitted with the slightly different designed front facia of the Hawk. Now, everything I just mentioned to you was standard equipment for Hawks. What really separated the two were the extra SLP options that were available for Hawks which were:

-Firehawk embroidered floor mats
    -Bilstein Suspension '99-'02 or 1LE '01-'02
    -Specific triple-chrome plated Firehawk wheels
    -Lower rear-deck SLP spoiler which were standard on Anniv. Hawks

(HAWKMAN_)
For more SS/WS6/Hawk info check the "Special Editions" forum.

im tired of seeing threads asking if my SS/WS6/T/A/Z28 is real. here are a set of instructions on finding out exactly what it is and obtaining legit proof.

1. Take VIN to GM dealership
2. Go to Parts and Service
3. Give them your VIN and ask them for a build sheet and window sticker on your car.
4. if you dont want to pay, ask them to confirm if it is real or not.

SLP/ASC specific cars.
Call SLP or ASC with your VIN and have them verify if it is a true SS/WS6
SLP did the SS and Firehawks
ASC did the T/A's

Phone numbers and addresses:

ASC:
1 ASC Center
Southgate, MI
Phone: 734-285-4911

SLP:
1501 Industrial Way North
Tom River, NJ
Phone: 734-349-2109
Fax: 732-244-0867

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....7&postcount=19
I believe a stainless steel exhaust was a $900 option on the Firehawk.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Douglas Keefe
I believe a stainless steel exhaust was a $900 option on the Firehawk.
SLP dual/dual exhaust was standard on Firehawk in the LS1 years. No other system was optional.

Time to put this 9 year old thread to bed.

Quick Reply: how to tell if its a real firehawk?