General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Can Coils Be Crossed??as in miss wired

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 11:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can Coils Be Crossed??as in miss wired

Ok finally got my new motor installed and i was dying to start it up to make sure the engine sounds good.So i did not have Centerbolt Coil pack Brackets so i make shifted a bracket and Zip tied the coils to it just for Start up purposes.'

And it starts fine but when i let off the gas it back fires loudly.But the engine sounds good and smooth .So i thought i may have the Coils on wrong as in not in the correct spot as they should be .Does it matter Which coil goes were ?? and does the Coils have to be bolted down to a bracket to be grounded.

Just looking to make sure nothing else is wrong.and i did not plan to leave the Zip ties holding them on i just needed to make sure the used engine i got was good.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:15 PM
12 Second Club

So long as each the coil is connecting the spark to it's respective place on the harness, they should be fine. If it's running smooth, it should be hooked up right. You'd be screwing the firing order if they were plugged in wrong.

How about exhaust leaks? Do you have a programmer you could hook it up to and check codes?

Seems like a good read here

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ses+backfiring
Old 05-20-2008, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

Running open headers but i have ran them before and it never back fired this way.It only does it when i hold the rpm to around 1500-2000and let off then it backfires.Almost like a crossed wire would do .

I was thinking i may have the driver side coils on pass side and vice versa and that was causing it.But it has not threw a code yet but i only ran it for about 15-30 secs.