General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Who here bought their LS1 f body new?(& still has it.)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Your'e not alone..

Bought our WS6 right off the lot in 2001, then drove her home from Vegas to Ft. Drum, NY. That was a great break in! She's (yea, mine's a girl) got 76k on the odometer and two coast to coast trips on her. paint on the bumper's cracking, the original WS6 chromie's are now the winter tires, and I've been through two rear ends, but every time I go into the garage, I smile when my eyes fall upon her. The wife is eyeing a new Camaro, but that clown smile facia doesn't do it for me. Those evil snorkels ready to suck up unsuspecting imports; that does it for me!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 01:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
We are clearly on the same page here.

Usually, the people that complain about all the things we love about these cars are the people that would NEVER have an interest in owning an F-body if it weren't for the affordable and impressive LS1 performance abilities.

These cars are at that "middle age" now. When they were new, only the people that really wanted the whole car would pay that price.
You can put me on that same page as well!!
I truly could not have said it better!

I ordered mine in October '99 (one HAD TO order, with a deposit, 1SC hardtop strippers, as how many dealers would be willing to stock a car without even a rear window defroster?? ), and took delivery in January 2000.
Been in love ever since for 100K, reasonably fast, reliable (to shut up the import nameplate lovers/fanboyz & domestic/GM haters/bashers) miles.

BTW; when the riceboyz start with their interior **** (I guess they must find some faults to counter/distract from their lack of stock speed, right?? ) I just look at them like they're crazy and tell them I'll go sit in my living room if I want luxurious surroundings.
A car (for me at least) is for DRIVING!!!!

My f body is also still VERY tight, the ONLY rattles it has are from the worn out rod ends on my double adjustable panhard bar, and the noise from the Pro 5.0 shifter, BOTH MY fault, NOT GM's!!
Also the said "shitty" (to the import fanbois at least) interior has held up for almost 9 years of constant, NEVER garaged, exposure to the sun, heat, cold, humidity, dust, pollen, etc. without ANY cracks/splits, etc., and very little fading.
So much for "shitty domestic inferiority"<- huh??
Old 05-29-2008, 01:58 PM

What a great thread! I ordered an '02 WS6 and took delivery just days before the events of 9-11-01. I didn't have the car long, but got the bug to heavily mod the car. That car lead me to the collection of cars that I have now. I have had lots of fast cars over the years, but the 4th gen f-bodies draw me back every time. They are the synthesis of everything I love about muscle cars. They have outstanding and slightly edgey styling, incredible powertrains with limitless potential and great aftermarket support. The things I love best about them are that they are not for everyone. It seems like everybody has a Mustang, becasuse is "cool" and a somewhat "safe" performance car. I love my f-bodies becasue of their muscle car nature. They are somewhat uncomprimising and can be a bit of a handful to drive, but what muscle car isnt? These other cars are pretenders, they never nailed the rawness and old timey feel that the f-bodies have. That's not to say that they are antiquated, it's just that they have the feel of a muscle car. There is no pretending with these cars. They are down and dirty pavemnet pounders that have a level of sophistocation that is far above their muscle car bretheren. Long live the 4th gen f-body!
Old 05-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rowin Gearz
It seems like everybody has a Mustang, becasuse is "cool" and a somewhat "safe" performance car. I love my f-bodies becasue of their muscle car nature. They are somewhat uncomprimising and can be a bit of a handful to drive, but what muscle car isnt? These other cars are pretenders, they never nailed the rawness and old timey feel that the f-bodies have.
I agree, single wheel burn outs aren't very muscle.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 505 Likes on 365 Posts

I bought my 1996 Formula new in July '96 in Florida. I had to have a convertible when I moved here to the mountains so I traded it for a $33,000 2001 which is my current F-body. I plan on having it for as long as I'm on the planet. I'm rapidly approaching my 12th year of ownership with these 'addictive' cars. I think it is quite impressive to still smile every time you turn the key after this length of time.
Old 05-30-2008, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

I ordered my HOSS, february 14th of 1999. Took delivery on july 2nd of 1999. Payed $26,464 for it. Still have the car with just under 12k on the clock. Still has that "new car smell" to it too.LOL. Every time I get in, start it, take it for a little drive, makes me feel real good. Puts a freshly fucked smile on my face every time!
Old 05-30-2008, 04:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bought mine june of 2001 new 10 miles on it .....it has 23k now and a 10 sec n/a car ....more to come
Old 05-30-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was 30 somthing when I bought mine new in 2001. I always wanted one since a kid and two of my friends in high school had a 1970 1/2, and my brother a 1969. I never had a 'cool' car as a kid so when I heard GM was dropping the Camaro, I had to act on my fantasy of owning a Camaro. So i took all my availble money and bought(financed) it for almost the 31G sticker price. One of the happiest days of my life.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bought mine brand new in 2000, still got it and about 60k on the clock... never have regretted the decision one bit.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bought my 94 Z28 brand new when I was 17 and still have it, I'm 32 now. I bought my 02 SS new in sept 01, still have it. There is no car I would rather drive that is available for under 100K. I almost got a new Z06, but the wife wouldn't allow 2 toys with 2 seats. So I took the down payment and am building a LS7 for the SS with room for a baby seat or 2 in the back. Now I know why vette's are usually driven by single guys or over 40's, life priorities make you wait.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:09 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
You are 100% correct about the fact that many people could afford more expensive cars, but they still keep and F-body or two around.
For the money I have tied up in 4th Gen Camaros, I could have had a couple really nice Corvettes or a really nice Porsche (prolly just one of those ). But who would I hang out with? Who would I join for install parties or trips to the track? BBQ and beer in the backyard while we bench race?

Half of the Corvette owners are douche bags and if I could find a Porsche club it might have like 10 members and 9 or them would be *******.

Nope, I'd rather hang out with down to earth folks who drive, mod, and race F-bodies and/or other "common affordable" cars.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Teching In

im the second owner of my 00 ss. first owner babied it and it looked like a showroom floor model when i got it.

had a 97 z28 in san diego i couldnt ship with me to the island. it had high miles and had seen better days but it pulled strong,handled well, and was cheap to boot. that car started my love for camaros
Old 05-30-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased my first 4th gen Camaro in late 93 I got a new 94 in January. The second one was a 96 Trans Am also new. Those were sold as I ventured into older muscle cars and then European cars (BMW's) The whole time I missed my 4th gen F-Bodies so I bought a 01 WS6 about 2 years ago. I love it just as much as I did the first two. I do miss the way the LT1 sounded but I don't miss working on it.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This is my 3rd Fbody and I am 35yrs old. First one was a 1999 A4 red WS6 with 35000 miles.I had that for over a year and Traded that in for a Brand New Black 2002 WS6 with 6 miles on it. It was a great feeling driving that off the lot. I had the black one until 48,000 miles. Had to get rid of it cause of divorce. I was without an fbody for a year and was goin crazy cause I needed one again. I bough this one at 55,000 miles. Its like I cannot live without it. I am goin to keep this one for as long as I can and just keep building on it.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:52 AM
Teching In

My WS6 Formula was ordered in September of 1998 and arrived in April of 1999. It took some time, but it was the only way to get it exactly the way I wanted with a hardtop and cloth interior. I haven't regreted it at all, although I have to say that if I could do it over I would have picked navy blue just to be different. I do plan on keeping her forever.

My Firebird was a dealer demo that had about 9K miles on it when I got her in November of 1994. After all these years it's not going anywhere either.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Teching In

I special ordered mine in April of '02 and took delivery in Aug. it was the last WS.6 the dealer was going to get. I later found that the car rolled off GM's line on my wife and my anniversery, so needless to say the car is not going to leave my possession.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

now im 18 now so i was 8, or close to it, when mine rolled off the lot. but im the third owner and it still only has 43.5k on it. ever since the lt 4th gens came out i was IN LOVE with them and SWORE id own one. so i saved EVERY PENNY and ate off the dollar menu ever since i started working at 16. bought my baby with 28k, new car to me, with most of the mods already done, but it was such a cherry and had an amazing story i had to have it. my first car that i paid for fully. have had like 4 others but they dont mean half as much. ive got the dealer sticker and the build sheet. went for like 28.5k new. and for some reason im about to sell it for what i paid for it. im going to miss it, but i think ill be happier in a house. and will DEFINATLY own another soon. was leaning more towards a ws6 as ive always favored those. but i will never EVER forget this car. and i will keep my window sticker for damn sure.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Bought my Silver SS A4 new May 31, 2002. I got the extended warranty for 50K miles or 7 years. It also has the SLP intake and exhaust.
It now has 34,000 miles on it and is still under warranty. Not a garage queen but not a daily driver either. I drive my '56 around town mostly so the Camaro goes on trips to Vegas and stuff.
It is bone stock (so I don't break the warranty rules).
I have only had to replace the tires due to a blowout on the original Goodyears.
It has had the sail panel replaced but zero other problems so far.
It even still has the original wiper blades and battery. I think I am going to replace both soon though.

Maybe when the warranty runs out I'll be in the market for the new Camaro.
The only thing that bugs me on this one is you can't flash your lights with the turn lever. I think that turn lever control stalk is left over from the 70's and I hope the new Camaro has come of age in that regard.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

I purchased my CETA new back on 4/20/02. No special order. I just happened on it and left with it the same day.
I'll never forget that day. That night was my senior prom & since I didn't start the paperwork till after 5, I couldn't get a hold of my insurance agent, so... no insurance = no CETA at prom.
I was sooo pissed, but we've had six wonderful years together since that day!
Old 06-03-2008, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kikaofazz
I was sooo pissed, but we've had six wonderful years together since that day!
id have still had to of taken it out. if anything happend id be like officer cmon seriously its my prom, i needed the camaro. HAVE YOU EVER TRIED GETTING LAID IN YOUR MOMS HONDA!!??! lol. he would have understood. also... i assume you mean the car, not the prom date lol.

Quick Reply: Who here bought their LS1 f body new?(& still has it.)