General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Do It Yourself Jobs...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do It Yourself Jobs...

I'm using my last newbie pass on this thread: Can we get a list going of the installs that don't require shops? I see threads asking "can i do my own headers?/can i do my own exhaust/cam? etc"....So can we get some kind of mega thread listing the common installs and the necesarry tools/time it takes? Save for the turbos/S.C and b.j's(block jobs).....
Old 06-04-2008, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do It Yourself Jobs:

Engine swap
cam swap
headers
intake
ported throttle body
rearend swap
gear install
axle install
interior upgrades
exterior upgrades
painting
welding
suspension installs
kmember installs
turbo installs
nitrous installs
supercharger installs
nitrous installs
transmission swaps
torque convertor swaps

and so much more is do it yourself!

I wanted to be an ***, But nothing requires a shop if you have the knowledge or friends.

or go to www.ls1howto.com
Old 06-04-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jetlag
Do It Yourself Jobs:

Engine swap
cam swap
headers
intake
rearend swap
gear install
axle install
interior upgrades
exterior upgrades
painting
welding
suspension installs
kmember installs
turbo installs
nitrous installs
supercharger installs
nitrous installs
transmission swaps
torque convertor swaps

and so much more is do it yourself!

This is soooo true. If you don't have a garage, this list gets cut down some. However, I try to do everything I want to get done mechanically by myself. It's the very BEST way to build a collection of knowledge...And tools!
Old 06-04-2008, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rowdy94
This is soooo true. If you don't have a garage, this list gets cut down some. However, I try to do everything I want to get done mechanically by myself. It's the very BEST way to build a collection of knowledge...And tools!
The first time I ever did real work(only installed offroad pipes, throttle bodies, cold air intake before)...was in February and it was 25 degrees outside. A friend and I were in his driveway with his Mustang GT on jackstands. We did a head/cam swap on his car and it only took 2 nights. We worked from around 5pm - 2/3am. Only tools we had was two Folgers coffee can full of sockets and ratchets. First time ever...and those modular 4.6 motors are kind of complicated for a beginner with 3 timing gears to worry about, tensioners..etc.

So.. I don't want to ever hear about someone bitching about something simple or saying you don't have the room...even if you are a beginner with limited tools.

Of course, now I have much more sophisticated tools and knowledge,. So just start on your own and LEARN.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do it yourself depends more on the person than anything else.. You have to be mechanically inclined. Hell I have a friend that could have a professional shop with every piece of equipment and still not be able to change his own plugs!

There are people on this board that have done full tube chassis drag cars as a "do it yourself" project in their garage.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm i want to be the devils advocate. Ok jet lag what if you live in downtown manhatten with 9 million other inhabitands on a 13 mile island so chances are you park your car 4 blocks away from your home because there is no room. And you work 2 jobs during the week and a double shift on a part time job on the weekend to support your 3 kids that have no mom because she left for vegas with an ex and never came back. Not to mention you have carpel tunnel that acts up and never had a tetnous shot and you are blind in one eye and your other eye is weak and still has yet to adapt to the lack of depth perception. And you have a chronic back pain from a bad car accident and you cant lift anything over 30 pounds or lie down on hard surfaces or crouch. lol I am tired, damn the commas
Old 06-04-2008, 11:21 PM
TECH Veteran

just about everythiung man just depends on your patience really
Old 06-04-2008, 11:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ICEMAN 31
hmm i want to be the devils advocate. Ok jet lag what if you live in downtown manhatten with 9 million other inhabitands on a 13 mile island so chances are you park your car 4 blocks away from your home because there is no room. And you work 2 jobs during the week and a double shift on a part time job on the weekend to support your 3 kids that have no mom because she left for vegas with an ex and never came back. Not to mention you have carpel tunnel that acts up and never had a tetnous shot and you are blind in one eye and your other eye is weak and still has yet to adapt to the lack of depth perception. And you have a chronic back pain from a bad car accident and you cant lift anything over 30 pounds or lie down on hard surfaces or crouch. lol I am tired, damn the commas
holy **** dude
Old 06-05-2008, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

my biggest diy mod so far was an oil pump, which imo is no joke on an ls1 fbody.

so glad I did it though, and plan on doing every mod I buy, myself
Old 06-05-2008, 01:20 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ICEMAN 31
Well, that is an extreme scenario

I was mainly trying to make a point that anyone with a little bit of time, basic hand tools, and patience could get anything done.

Originally Posted by markzeronine
my biggest diy mod so far was an oil pump, which imo is no joke on an ls1 fbody.

so glad I did it though, and plan on doing every mod I buy, myself
Since you got it down that far, I hope you put a cam in
Old 06-05-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

The only mod I did not feel comfortable doing to my '98 was welding in the rollbar. I had a true chassis shop (LG Motorsports) TIG weld in a Chromoly rollbar. I wanted it done by a pro shop because with a rollbar, I didn't want it hacked or half-assed.

I did have a couple shops do things when I didn't have time, but I ended up repeating those tasks anyway on my own.

I have done every mod on my 94Z. No shops have ever worked on it since replacing the original engine under warranty 10+ years ago.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

I haven't done anything really serious by any means, but through the small stuff that I have done I've learned a lot and learned best from my mistakes
Old 06-05-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jetlag
Well, that is an extreme scenario
I was mainly trying to make a point that anyone with a little bit of time, basic hand tools, and patience could get anything done.
Yes, and a room with 20,000 monkeys all with keyboards could eventually write the Great American novel.
Perhaps you could come down off your high horse long enough to interpret the question as:
"What type of mods could a reasonable person with reasonable skills and a reasonable tool box and reasonable amount of time do to their car."
And yes, I rebuilt an engine in my apartment before, with the engine stand in the middle of the floor because I didn't have a garage or an extra bedroom. Can it be done? Sure, I have done it. Do I recommend it? No, not really. (It left a big oil stain on the carpet.)
Reasonable mods would be bolt-ons, suspension work, brake upgrades, etc.
Old 06-05-2008, 01:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Perhaps you could come down off your high horse long enough to interpret the question as:
"What type of mods could a reasonable person with reasonable skills and a reasonable tool box and reasonable amount of time do to their car."
LOL. Best post ever. My post easily answered that question. I was a beginner with beginners skills and 2 coffee cans full of random sockets and a reasonable amount of time to do it in. So I'm not sure why you are starting crap with me?

If I could do a full head/cam swap with BASIC tools the first time I ever tried anything like that....then any mod less than or equal to that could easily be done by a "resonable person" as you call it?? I seriously don't understand why you made that post unless you are stupid?

And yes, I rebuilt an engine in my apartment before, with the engine stand in the middle of the floor because I didn't have a garage or an extra bedroom. Can it be done? Sure, I have done it. Do I recommend it? No, not really. (It left a big oil stain on the carpet.)
Reasonable mods would be bolt-ons, suspension work, brake upgrades, etc
Yes, I DO recommend it! Trying something new by yourself is a rewarding project... You learn your limits and then you push yourself. Oh, and use some common sense..maybe put some scrap carpet under the engine or a tarp or something...no more carpet stain.

Wow..congrats on being a newb with 1700 posts.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Default list

Lol!!! You guys are funny...but he is right...bolt ons...suspension...brakes...you can do just about anything anymore..if you have the time and money...
Old 06-05-2008, 02:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CHIredws6
I'm using my last newbie pass on this thread: Can we get a list going of the installs that don't require shops? I see threads asking "can i do my own headers?/can i do my own exhaust/cam? etc"....So can we get some kind of mega thread listing the common installs and the necesarry tools/time it takes? Save for the turbos/S.C and b.j's(block jobs).....
So read the original post again, silly. Congrats on your accomplishments.
I'll have to show your response of "newb" around the plant. We'll all get a kick out of that one.
Thanks for the laughs.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I did this by myself

Old 06-05-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

This is a silly thread. Everything is do it yourself job, if your will to get your hands dirty!
Old 06-05-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It depends on skills and education bro. To me, everything is a do it yourself job.
For a newbie, I'd say.. everything but body work is a do it yourself job.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by IRONFIST
It depends on skills and education bro. To me, everything is a do it yourself job.
For a newbie, I'd say.. everything but body work is a do it yourself job.
I agree!

Body work? straight to a shop my car goes!