General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

A couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple questions

Ok, I have a couple questions, they are unrelated to each other.

First, what really breaks the 4L60E? Is it time, high RPM runs, or just raw power. I want to do H/C eventually, but I'm wondering if the $l60E is a dependancy I need to take care of first?

Secondly, just how badass is a H/C/Stalled LS1 F-Body? Should I go for it, or save up and do some sory of bigger cubes (Probably Aluminum 408) or Will H/C be enough to take down most cars I come across. For instance, there's an older Testarossa in my area occasionally, and every time I see him, we get into it. He pulls me pretty good on the interstate (10 cars or so). Would H/C take down a car like that?

Thanks for the input!
Old 06-29-2008, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

A heads and cam ls1 is a force to reckoned with. Do your research though, and do it right. Choose some heads, then buy your cam based on what they flow. ( its more complicated than that, but read up on how to do it right). I would suggest some gears as well since that TR is already way lighter than you and probably has some pretty steep gears itself.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I don't see him often. Cobras and such are a bigger concern, but I consider the TR sort of a benchmark. I have a guy who does all my work who I think will just give me the old 3.42's out of his old WS6 rear end. Then when I get a new rear, i'll prolly go 3.73. Unfortunately, I bought a cam a while back with the intent of staying cam only, then my buddy told me it's better to just do heads at the same time. While I realize matching heads to the cam is the wrong way to go, I can probably figure out a good set to put with my 230/232 .595 .598 112+2.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmmm, and actually, looking at the stats on a TR: 3651lb. and 434hp...I don't think it would take much more for me to take down that car. The thing sure is flashy though. Beautiful black paint and gorgeous chrome wheels, but it smokes when he revs it at idle, lol.