General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: '03 Kenny Bell Cobra or C6 Zo6???????
Keep the Cobra and install a Kenny Bell
14.56%
Sell the Cobra and buy a C6 Zo6
85.44%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

C6 Zo6 or '03 KB Cobra???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$5000 Supercharged or Extra 50k on top of the Cobra trade in
Old 06-30-2008, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dont get me wrong here.. I love the C6 Z06. But I think he would be better off building up the cobra if he wanted a fast street car. They can be very fast as well. With a C6 Z06, used, maybe you could find one for $60,000.. And with the Cobra, you can find a nice 03/04 Cobra for around $20,000-$25,000. Thats a $35,000 - $40,000 difference that could be used to make the Cobra faster, rather than having a stock C6 Z06 that would get its doors blown off on the streets by a Cobra that has been fully built with the money that was saved.

If he wants a Vette, Why not go after a C5 Z06? You could build one of them up cheaper than a C6 Z06 too.

If his intentions are having a fast street car, My vote is for the Cobra.

just my $.02

- Mike
Old 06-30-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Vette!!
Old 06-30-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Resident

Majority rules mang!
Old 06-30-2008, 03:28 PM
12 Second Club

I agree with everyone here for the most parts. C6 Z06. Yummy. To quote Pantera, "A new level, of confidence, and power!!!"
Old 06-30-2008, 03:40 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by sslateron
You can make 600 NA whp with a C6Z. Thus would walk a 700+ whp Cobra. Your also looking at spending 50-60k which isn't chump change. Why are you even asking? If you CAN afford the Z then go for it.

I seriously don't see what so good about the Cobra's. Every time I see them run against a LSx car they lose. IMO the Cobras are just too heavy and need all that extra power just move.

There is nothing cheap about a 600rwhp C6Z. Are you aware that it takes in excess of $2500 just for the exhaust? Do you know what it runs to change the clutch in C6's? Here is a pic for you. (Yes I know thats a C5 in the pic but its the same ammount of work if not more on a C6)

Ever price a C6Z rear tires, axles or God forbid a DTE rear?

I was considering the same thing but it is FAR easier to keep and maintain a 700rwhp Cobra than a 600rwhp C6Z not to mention the Cobra will run and idle like stock until WOT unlike Z06. If the guy can afford the C6Z tax, by all means go for it. I will also be getting one after this C6 but for the DD aspect and kicking azz on the street, you cant do it any cheaper or eaiser than with a Cobra, especially since he already has the car.

If you dont have any respect for Cobra's then you have not been around them first hand.

Last edited by JayplaySS; 06-30-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by nseldy
Thats what he's afraid of, he doesn't wanna spend all that $$$$$ just to be beat by a whipple or KB cobra. If he goes with a C6 Zo6 it's gonna be full-bolts and cam, but it still might be close too close to call.....I duno
Yep.

I was planning full bolt ons, cam, and some N20 but Im not very confident in the LS7 bottom end with excess of 600rwhp. Well, that and a $797 payment when I drive only 100 miles a month.

Its a tough choice man due to the difference if $$, I had this same post a month ago, search my name.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

I'm a mustang guy and I'd say F*ck the cobra get the z06 no second thoughts at all....
Old 06-30-2008, 04:37 PM
Launching!

Z06 will be worth more in the long run, plus your not a kid in a cobra, your a man with a fast car and some class
Old 06-30-2008, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
There is nothing cheap about a 600rwhp C6Z. Are you aware that it takes in excess of $2500 just for the exhaust? Do you know what it runs to change the clutch in C6's? Here is a pic for you. (Yes I know thats a C5 in the pic but its the same ammount of work if not more on a C6)

I was considering the same thing but it is FAR easier to keep and maintain a 700rwhp Cobra than a 600rwhp C6Z not to mention the Cobra will run and idle like stock until WOT unlike Z06. If the guy can afford the C6Z tax, by all means go for it. I will also be getting one after this C6 but for the DD aspect and kicking azz on the street, you cant do it any cheaper or eaiser than with a Cobra, especially since he already has the car.

If you dont have any respect for Cobra's then you have not been around them first hand.
Made some good points. The only thing I was't too sure about with his Cobra is every time he makes a pull the thing really heats up and loses substantial power even with a huge front mount. Even on a dyno, after just one pull it lost a lot of horsepower and I'm talking a lot like 30+ or more hp just because of heat. However, it was hot out and I understand the supercharger produces a lot of heat, but that seems a bit excessive. I realize any motor will get hot on the dyno but you can really feel the power lose even when making 2 consecutive pulls on highway. Maybe thats just the nature of a forced induction motor......
Old 06-30-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

Made some good points. The only thing I was't too sure about with his Cobra is every time he makes a pull the thing really heats up and loses substantial power even with a huge front mount. Even on a dyno, after just one pull it lost a lot of horsepower and I'm talking a lot like 30+ or more hp just because of heat. However, it was hot out and I understand the supercharger produces a lot of heat, but that seems a bit excessive. I realize any motor will get hot on the dyno but you can really feel the power lose even when making 2 consecutive pulls on highway. Maybe thats just the nature of a forced induction motor......
Bingo!!

But the heat issue can always be fixed with a little atmosphere in a bottle.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:30 PM

He is still on the stock unported Heaton blower Im sure. What did your buddy make on the dyno?
Old 06-30-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i drove a c6 z06 for a few days and it was the wildest thing ever. 'bras are fun to drive but do not have the quality as c6s.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great points!

- Mike
Old 06-30-2008, 05:45 PM
11 Second Club

Well a stock C6Z06 is about as fast as most KB Cobras. It's also better in every other way so I say hands down go with the Z06.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

He is still on the stock unported Heaton blower Im sure.
Yep, he dynoed it yesterday on a dynojet, but unfortunately it was 92*F outside. It spun on the first pull and made 410/456. Second pull was best and made 437/43x. I agree with him that the first pull prob would've been more hp if it wouldn't have spun, but soon as the thing starts heating up it the numbers kept going down. He told me it trapped at 120mph last time he had it to the track Cecil, MD. Not sure of time, I think low 12s somewhere which is respectible especially with street tires....
Old 06-30-2008, 05:53 PM
12 Second Club

I know alot of you guys are saying go for the Z06 but if i was in the guys place with already owning the cobra....i would just put the KB on it just saving money wise other then going out buying the vette lol thats just me tho...I say if you have enough money to afford a c6z06 then relability shouldnt be a issue because you will have money to buy a DD

Z06 is def a ******* badass,monster of a car
Old 06-30-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

cobras are nasty..i love the way they sound and look...but ill be honest, you know what u would be lookin at when the Z pulls into the parking lot
Old 06-30-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Resident

Yep, he dynoed it yesterday on a dynojet, but unfortunately it was 92*F outside. It spun on the first pull and made 410/456. Second pull was best and made 437/43x. I agree with him that the first pull prob would've been more hp if it wouldn't have spun, but soon as the thing starts heating up it the numbers kept going down. He told me it trapped at 120mph last time he had it to the track Cecil, MD. Not sure of time, I think low 12s somewhere which is respectible especially with street tires....
those are pretty good #'s....i have seen better, but not embarassing....however if hes not makin much more than what he pulled on that second run....hes gonna get walked
Old 06-30-2008, 06:04 PM

Honestly I would tell him to throw on a new Steggy stg. 5 ported blower with thier new tb and make about 540-550rwhp (good for 125-127+ mph traps if he can drive) for $1500 with the few other supporting mods. That will run door to door with most average driven KB's ( and average driven stock C6Z's) on the street and he can save a ton of $$.

You realize the taxes alone would run $3300 or more on a C6Z ($55K x 6%) when he goes to register it? Damn!

If he doesnt like the Cobra then, sell it and grab the C6Z. That way its only a $1,500 experiment. He is going to get beat on the street with both cars anyway, so either way there is no "street kill" guarantee.

Those are real weak numbers too so no wonder he is considering the switch.