General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

GM Goodwrench/GMPP Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM Goodwrench/GMPP Warranty Question

I looked at the GMPP catalog but still can't get a clear answer.

I have a new replacement LS1 in my 2000 Z28. Its covered by GM for 3 years 100,000 miles. I was wondering if in the future I decide to install lets say ported LS6 heads and or the ASA cam from GMPP will this void the warranty on the motor or will just that part be void and covered only by the GMPP warranty?

I would assume the entire warranty (3yr/100K) would be void. I just wondered if anyone here knew for certain.

I ask because with Ford if you install some of their FRPP parts on the car they were designed for the warranty isn't void.

Old motor tanked on me this past week. Had an oiling issue about 45K miles ago after a cam swap (Torn oil pump o-ring kept oil from top side of the motor when it got hot and was idling). The cam ended up tanking on me. The exhaust lobe on #4 ended up beginning to desintigrate on the very top of the lobe. This made a horrible knocking sound much like a spun rod bearing would (this is what I first assumed the noise was). Total mileage on the motor was 124k and the cylinder walls still had crosshatching and the bottom end looked immaculate there was no sludge or build up of any kind anywhere. The bearings still looked good too. I decided to just replace the engine with a new one that has a warranty since the old motor had a few miles on it.

Last edited by LSWon00; 07-19-2008 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM parts are warrantied for 1 year or 12K miles, period. Even if a replacement engine comes with a 3/36K if you replace a part on it, you're still only covered for a year on the part you replace.

If you are going to put a cam in it, you'd void that warranty (provided they can prove that its a different cam, or that it is related to the part that fails) But 90% of those GM tech's will probably not notice LS6 heads.