General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Concerning GM Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concerning GM Warranties

Hey Guys,

Hypothetical situation.

If your GM vehicle has a recall, does GM typically have guidelines that rule, for example, that you have XXXXX miles or XX months/years to get that recall taken care of... ?? Furthermore, let's say you have that recall taken care of, to no avail; i.e. they apparently either screw up the fix or didn't actually fix it at all, bogusly signing for the fix as "done" on your paperwork; next time to take it to the dealership to declare that the problem persists, they try to charge you for this and that and parts, etc. to try to fix it again.

Anyone familiar with the standard rules and guidelines as far as timelines go for GM recalls? Thanks guys.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dealerships hate recall work, they ****** shoved my o2 sensors in sideways when replacin my cats and also theres an exhaust leak now, thats thanx to dutton cadallac who are supposed to be good. Every recall is different tho depends which one is the miles and/or years
Old 08-18-2008, 12:54 AM
Launching!

On the subject of recalls. How would i find out if my 98 TA has any?
Old 08-18-2008, 01:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can search online, my dad actually was a master tech and he was able just to pull up everything on my vin, but most recalls are based on mileage and how old it is, i wouldnt worry about it too much less your car has problems, dealerships will just end up giving you more problems, i work on all my own ****, less its free cats, damned california
Old 08-18-2008, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Recalls have no expiration date. A recall has to be performed, regardless of mileage or time passed. Its not a policy thing, its a legal thing.

As far as not "fixing" you problem, thats probably in your head. Most recalls are to prevent a problem, or to fix an extremely specific type of defect. Consumers often mis-construe this as some kind of warranty. Its not. Once its performed, the manufacturer is off the hook. If you can prove that a recall was not performed to your car, cut the dealer out of it and call your manufacturers customer service line. Start a case so the dealer has no way to bury you first.

Dealers dont definitely hate recall work. I made damn good money doing customer satisfaction campaigns with Land Rover ( essentially a self mandated recall). It just depends on what tech you get, not really the dealership.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:02 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks a lot for the info fellaz, much appreciated.