General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

What happened to Wheel to Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What happened to Wheel to Wheel

I just tried jumping on Wheel to Wheels website and it said they were closed. I dont get it a company that did top quality work is now closed. What is the story?
Old 08-15-2008, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't remember the whole story but there is a thread somewhere on here about it.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah, I used to be a manager there. They went corporate a few years back and it was doomed after that. They closed doors in June I think. Kurt (former special projects director) is reopening as Kurt Urban Performance (just like the good old days). The engine builder Billy is reopened as Briggs Performance (also dba Briggs Racing Engines?). Billy bought much of the equipment such as the dyno and engine building stuff. I think the tuner (Rich Gala) and one of the techs (Jim Bell) are working with Billy. Not sure about Kurt (solo?).
Old 08-18-2008, 07:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Reckless
Yeah, I used to be a manager there. They went corporate a few years back and it was doomed after that. They closed doors in June I think. Kurt (former special projects director) is reopening as Kurt Urban Performance (just like the good old days). The engine builder Billy is reopened as Briggs Performance (also dba Briggs Racing Engines?). Billy bought much of the equipment such as the dyno and engine building stuff. I think the tuner (Rich Gala) and one of the techs (Jim Bell) are working with Billy. Not sure about Kurt (solo?).
Meaning switched from an LLC, or went public? Either way, really sucks!
Old 08-18-2008, 11:55 PM
Teching In

According to the editorial in the new Hot Rod they're a victim of the Detroit economy. No enough contract work from the Big Three to stay in business.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

W2W was once an LLC, but was purchased by Quantum-Tecstar a few years ago. And what Pats Fan said is correct. W2W relied heavily on GM and the other car makers for business.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My search abilities is getting a little better...after about 4 different tries I finally found the old post on what happened. I knew they did special project stuff for GM and such which is why I was really suprised they went under. Not so surprised that GM isn't giving as much business but really surprised by them going out with the type of reputation they had. I would have thought there would have been enough joe blow business to stay around. Thats to bad I have been saving my pennies for about 3 years now and am about to make a move on FI and was considering W2W. I guess as I get closer to the final amount $ I am willing to put into a new powertrain I will contact the new businesses the guys have and see what they can offer me.