General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Updated Performance:2000 mindset vs Today

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 04:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Updated Performance:2000 mindset vs Today

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the New Technology for our cars. Example: In 2000 the big thing was say having an LS6 intake or more corvette parts on an fbody. What better performance parts do we have now for our fbody's compared to when fbody where coming out. I myself was caught up in 2000-2002 fbody scene. Thanks
Old 09-23-2008, 06:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I first got into the LS1 scene back in 2000, then back into it again last summmer.

Alot of the things are the same, like free mods and running cutouts and DR's, but I think the biggest advances have come in cylinder heads and cams. Back then you didn't hear much about aftermarket heads or cams. Nowadays it seems like there are a LOT of H/C cars out there, and there are so many options in those areas now. It took a while for that segment of the aftermarket to get going, but now you have a lot of choices.

Also tuning has come a long way. I don't rememeber hearing that much about it back in '00, but it seems that over time tuning has gone from mainly an import thing to a big part of modding an LS1. I think it just took domestic guys a bit longer to accept it, and to learn how to do it.

And headers. I remember if you had long tubes, that was a big deal, as I think the only option at the time was the Grottyhan (spelling?) long tubes. I knew a guy who had those, and everyone was like "WOW!" when looking at his car.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, Yea I remember when If a fbody had LS6 heads that was a big thing then, Now there are all types of heads.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I remember that regular mods were an SLP lid, K&N, Catback exhaust, and free mods.

The big dogs had heads and cam packages but the top sellers were MTI and SLP.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5-7yrs ago you couldn't find a set of ported lsx heads with much less than a 230cc intake runner.

and they still barely flowed over 300cfm.

now you've got 200-215cc runners flowing 310+

and back then high lift cams were in the .570-.580" range....now they are not uncommon upwards of .650"
Old 09-23-2008, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

Heads, cam, and tuning.

Ported stock castings are now a GREAT alternative to the extremely expensive and rare aftermarket castings there were when I started learning about fbodies.

Cam technology is huge. Small cams were the thing, then huge cams, and now it's back to a small cam that can make the same HP as the old huge cams.

And tuning keeps evolving.. as it probably always will.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow. Also what is expensive back then like it is now?
Old 09-23-2008, 10:48 PM
11 Second Club

I also remember it being a fairly rare thing to have a 400rwhp daily driveable street car, and now it seems like 75% of all street cars on here are heads/cam pushing around 400.

**** is expensive still. Fast intakes for $1000, etc. It all depends on how fast you want to go.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Veteran

I could type for hours on the changes. Honestly though prices have not changed much and in some cases got more expensive.

Tuning has come a long way, use to have to go out of your way to get a tune. LS1edit had to run autotap while you ran it then read the logs then put on the ls1edit then made your changes lol. What a PITA that was for a while.

Intakes. LS6 was the best you could do till the BBK, and such came out. Or you could go with the sheetmetal intakes for over 1000. **** now you got like 6 different options from ported to polished.

Headers got cheaper and more expensive. FLP, SLP, MAC, and the shorties were about it. SLP was around 900-1200 and the FLP's could swap race pipes to cats but ran around 1300 or so as well. Now you can get coated headers for under 500 and Stainless for 600. And really nice fitting ones around 800-1200 as usual.

Tuning and F/I has the biggest change. Cams IMO always seem to be guided by bandwagons. Prochargers use to throw belts, could not push over 6lbs of boost without blowing short blocks because of the tuning. You HAD to run forged bottoms to run F/I back then. Now, hell I was running 13#'s on my Procharged C5 with stock bottom end with no issues making pretty good power, and my maggie in my previous SS made massive torque with teh stock short block. F/I has exploded with the power and reliability with so many options now from turbo, twin turbos, ATI's, Maggies, and the STS kits that so many said would never work.

The only thing I see changing is that its harder to find a quality LS1 F body not raged out. And if you do find one they damn near go for what they sold for back in 98-02. I remember my buddy buying a 02 hardtop SS for 23K off the lot. Now you can still see cars with low miles going for 16+ and they are all over 6 years old.