General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

99 WS6 Heavy Steering??

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think old fluid may be the case here, after messing with 4 different cars, 2 were stock with STOCK fluid more than likely and 2 were well maintained and the steering was light.

When I was test driving a lot of different 4th gen cars, I found the steering to be consistent between auto and stick and all were about the same "stiffness". These 2 cars that I mention were a LOT stiffer than what I consider normal and its why I think maybe due to the old fluid in the PS, it might be the culprit. Old or low on fluid...
Old 09-28-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker
I just got back from driving a friend C6 Z06 and his steering is 10 times lighter and easier to manouver, I also drove a C5 Z06 as well, and again, better and lighter steering then my WS6.

I may change the power steering fluid and see how that goes.
Sounds like an issue with your car then.
The C4 and C5 I drove both had similar weight to the steering as my WS6.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

might be a bad pump as well, is it REALLY hard to turn when your not moving? if its much much harder to turn when sitting still, the pump is likely bad. Ive had them go out on one of my previous f-bodies (donuts being the culprit LOL)
Old 11-08-2020, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had this happen

Got old f body cheap. Blown out power steering system. Not sure what was leaking so I replaced everything all at once. Rack pump and hoses.
and it was good for a while, it felt light and easy. But then my alternator went out and my battery died. After that it wasn't working.

I haven't figured it out yet. Still reading and thinking.

Any advice is helpful

Quick Reply: 99 WS6 Heavy Steering??