General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Car stolen

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where I live you really don't have to worry about anything getting stolen. To have that extra peace of mind I guess is really worth it. To have a tow truck for stealing, that would have to be some hardcore or organized crime operation.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you don't believe our cars are easy to steal, I double dog dare you to take your F-body to Baton Rouge and park it in the same spot for 1 week.

It will be GONE. Just go to the Southern Section here and look at the sheer number of BR F-bodies that end up in New Orleans (or missing altogether). https://ls1tech.com/forums/southern-members/808446-stolen-f-bodies-inside.html for examples...

And you don't need a tow truck. One of these:

http://www.dgtow.com/Dynamic-601ST-S..._p_23-104.html

Would do just fine. ****** and drive off.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Not to sound like a thief. But, I would approximate about 3 minutes to jack a 4th gen fbody with a stock security system.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ i dont get it either i mean how?
Old 10-04-2008, 12:09 AM
11 Second Club

the systems are very easy once you have a wiring dia. in hand or you happen to know which resistor (1-15) the car has.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lifeisgood
the systems are very easy once you have a wiring dia. in hand or you happen to know which resistor (1-15) the car has.
You can print out all the different key resistor values from Alldata or Mitchell.
I have used a Kent Moore instrument cluster tester to start cars with Pass Key systems. Ones that I have worked on while waiting for parts. The tool is basically a variable resistor box.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing. I think about this new one...
Old 10-04-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

Like I said, 3 minutes. It kind of sucks. . . That's why I have full on kill switch.

If I am in a place where I think my car is not too safe, with a flip it goes from 3 minutes to a hour of "why in hell is this thing not starting".

The only problems are, it could still be easily towed or ripped appart from the inside.

Yet, it makes me feel a bit better.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

A kill switch is the one and only best way to keep someone from DRIVING away in your car. If they hotwire it, and it just cranks and cranks, or doesnt spin at all, they are only going to give it 20-30 seconds worth of time looking for the way to start it before bailing. I wouldnt use a name brand unit, or the old cigarette lighter trick either.

Youre not going to stop a tow truck, unless you park in a bomb shelter.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Addict

In a lot of cases a name brand alarm is the kill switch. My last car was wired to where, if the alarm was trigered there was no way to start the car. I pulled the starter wires all the way down to the engine compartment along with a fuel relay bypass.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by samson_420
In a lot of cases a name brand alarm is the kill switch. My last car was wired to where, if the alarm was trigered there was no way to start the car. I pulled the starter wires all the way down to the engine compartment along with a fuel relay bypass.
Was that the way the kit was designed to work? or did you engineer that in? If thats how the kit is designed, then it could easily be bypassed by someone who is familiar with that kit. My point is to create your own kill switch, in a good location, and keep it on the down low.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Stocktonz28
I got a computer chip on my key my key that starts my CPU up can my car still be hot wired? i dont think it can? Also i got a Viper alarm system which has a sound alert on the keyless entry. So pretty much you try to steal my car i put holes in you. I got a 40cal or a 357 on me at all times some times both. so goahead try to mess with my car i dare you. i need target pratice lol. O and even better try to steal it out of my driveway you cant run from a scope
HARD ***!!!! not.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Glad I don't live in the south. Not too many cars PERIOD get stolen here, let alone f bodies.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the VATS system gets the best of some Fbody owners.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

My threads rock! Die hard makes a security battery, where it disables the juice to the battery. Lot of options but this Ravelvco is the best. One of the test they gave a theif 15 mins to sit and try and steal the car, nothing happened.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sslateron
Where I live you really don't have to worry about anything getting stolen. To have that extra peace of mind I guess is really worth it. To have a tow truck for stealing, that would have to be some hardcore or organized crime operation.
seriously? thats the main method of stealing cars out in these parts. Not too long ago we caught the guys using a forklift and a flatbed. They just picked the car right up, pulled it up and onto the truck if needed. The forklift plugged into the ***-end of the flatbed, and they even had a laptop and laser printer to kick out bogus "work orders" or "sales orders" when they got pulled over. Lucky that think could only handle civics and camarys. But back to the guy with the gun, thats one way to do it. I wouldnt mind a H&K sticker on my window. Might make em pause for half a second. Hell it worked when i caught a guy tryin to steal my 85 TA outa my driveway a few years back. Nothin like the sound of a round being chambered in a handgun to get their attention. You could smell the sh*t coming outa his *** while he was running
Old 10-05-2008, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

LOL some of you guys really think these cars are hard to steal? You've obviously never installed an alarm in your car.

VATS is a joke. A "chip" in the key that is nothing but a resistor. Not hard, at all to bypass. You have to do it to install a remote start, so it's not something hidden by any means. Variable resistor and that's done. Takes all of five seconds to get to the connector.

Nothing will beat a tow truck or a trailer. It doesn't matter how you have the wheels turned, the only thing that might help you is how your park.

Back a trailer up to the car, jack up the rear, and winch or push it in. You could drag the rear tires, but that would be more of a hassle and cause a scene.

Getting in to the car with a simple set of lockout tools is simple. You're squeezing between a window and weather stripping, a simple wedge and a hook to unlock the door. If someone turned the wheels, this is your time to give a quick yank on the steering wheel and bust the locking tab.

This has been discussed 100 times, and it never fails that there are ignorant people in here thinking their cars are hard to steal. I've never stolen a car, and I have no worries of having my car stolen (small town, garage at night, etc). But I did install alarms/remote starts for a year, and you find out real quick how easy it is to bypass security. I'm also going through tech school and unlocking cars etc is easy.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Some of you know so much it scares me.!
Old 10-05-2008, 08:22 PM
11 Second Club

Lol, couple ways to show you how I know what I know.

Installing alarms/remote start- bypass factory security. Do it on your car, and you'll learn so much it scares you. Even just reading a tutorial. Thievs have the same internet we do.

Owning an fbody - You will eventually roll it around on a jack after destroying a 10 bolt, or get it towed. Never fails!

Auto school - lockouts are common with idiot car owners, and it's extremely easy to open 90% of vehicles within a matter of seconds.

And a friend and I bought a totaled car to part out, couldn't find the keys, and I watched him give the steering wheel a quick yank..... car rolled like a champ.

Quick Reply: Car stolen