General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Exhaust Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Advice

So, I've decided that the SLP LM's are too loud and raspy, so I've come down to two choices, based on cost efficiency.

Either the Magnaflow catback, or a shop said they'd basically make the factory 99 SS exhaust for me..I have a friend with it, don't think it's the SLP, and he starts it up and it sounds incredible...

Any suggestions? I figure there won't be much of a HP difference because exhausts really don't make that big of a difference, they're more for sound, but any advice would be great
Old 10-03-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

i think you would like magnaflow better. the stock ss exhaust is alright but its just too damn quiet. magnaflow will give it a nice quite idle and get pretty loud up top. So my vote is magnaflow. that is unless you want to keep being raspy and loud in which case u could get a ory and spice it up. but for complete cost efficiency why not try a LM2 or the new exhaust from slp i think the proflow or powerflow something like that.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Launching!

I have never liked the Loudmouth..... too loud and too raspy. The Magnaflow has a nice sound. If I were you, I would look around for an SLP dual/dual that somebody cut off their car and have a system made around that. It was quiet, but got loud under WOT and had a nice refined sound to my ears. I have an SLP "two on the left) catback and in my personal opinion is the best sounding exhaust note on an LS1. Unfortunately, they are no longer in production, but do pop up for sale occasionally used......
Old 10-03-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a cutout with a turn-down right after the axle before the muffler. that way i get the benefits of no muffler but ivem still got tailpipes and im able to run corsa clones to fill in the t/a bumper. win-win.

and i dont know why people trash talk the no muffler sound. i hardly get ANY rasp when cold. and when warmed up it sounds SICK!!!!!
Old 10-04-2008, 01:33 AM
Teching In

I would go with a single chamber muffler. I have heard just about every muffler on an ls1 car and nothing sounds like a single chamber. Single chamber flowmasters or cherry bomb extremes. My buddy and i was at the dyno and he tested the flows and he only lost 1 rwhp through those bad boys!