General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Corroded socket works fine, newly replaced one does not

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corroded socket works fine, newly replaced one does not

I replaced my DS socket and bulb earlier this year (around March I believe). After that everything worked fine. We had some heavy rains about a month ago, and both of my turn signals stopped working. I finally got around to troubleshooting it and bought a pair of 3157NA bulbs. When I replaced the DS bulb, I checked the connections and everything was still in-tact from when I replaced the socket earlier this year. The socket still looked new inside and no water came out when I took the bulb out. The bulb had close to no wear on the connections other than some lite white residue. I replaced the bulb and it only worked (very dimly, not nearly bright enough) when I turned the signal on, and not at all with the lights on. I replaced the bulb on the passenger side, which still has the stock 130k mile socket on it. About an ounce of water poured out of it, the inside of the socket and both the bulb were severely corroded, however when I put a new bulb in it, it worked FINE. I'm going to replace that socket since it's so badly corroded and it's probably just running on borrowed time, but what should I do about the DS socket? Clearly it's not the fault of a bulb; should I try replacing the socket again?

It's also worth mentioning that the instrument panel lights up the driver side turn signal (indicating that it's not working), but it intermittently goes on and off (very quickly, as if there's a bad connection somewhere). My solders look solid though.