General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

LS1 TA Static Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joshp14
You will never get 3 mA draw from all the modules in the car. Typical parasitic drain is 20-30 mA without any aftermarket acc's. 71 mA shouldnt drain the battery in 1 day unless the battery is junk or undercharged.

Did you pull fuses on the I/P fuse block to see if the drain drops? You will have to do this with the d/s door open...but make sure you pull the interior lights fuse first or you may pop the internal fuse in the meter when you open the door.

Remove not only fuses, but relays and circuit breakers too. Some relays may be sticking causing the draw. Trust me...I've had my fair share of cases chasing down **** like this.
Yeah, we pulled all the fuses from all three boxes. So you don't think 70mA is too high? It is not fully draining the battery in one day, just about a volt a day. I took one Optima that I bought in July back, just to make sue it was not the battery, but i replaced it with another optima. It charges right back up to about 12.7 volts after just a few minutes of run time.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I say 20-30 mA as normal but technically its supposed to be the battery reserve capacity divided by 4. So if the RC is 100 then the acceptable drain is 25 mA. 71 mA is a bit high. I had a blazer in last week with an 83 mA draw and it would drain the battery in about a week. I traced that one down to the rear hatch release actuator.

Did you pull relays and breakers too? If so and the draw is still there, try disconnecting the main power wire to the fuse boxes....this will eliminate the fuse box as a possible cause. Also try the starter and alternator cables.

If you drive the car every few days then I would just leave it. If you let it sit a week or two before drives and you still cant locate the drain, you can put a battery tender on there to offset the drain when you dont drive it.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I recurred to the battery charger/tenderizer solution since my car is not a DD. I use it only once or two times per week. What i do have is an alternator low charging capacity at load...thats with A/C, all lights, radio of a 11.2-11.3 volts, specially with the auxiliary fans on full blast. I searched in the garage manuals i have and apparently GM refers that down to a 11.1 value in this setting is normal. Im thinking of going with a 120 amp alternator instaed of the 102 I have now.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Any new info on this one? TTT
Old 10-23-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Regular

have you taken your battery to be tested? if you've got a bad cell than your electrical system will be one pissed off panda! And yeah it'll kill/drain your battery's charge
Old 10-23-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Mine was tested and was good. Guys who have gone through 3 Optimas either have the baddest luck on Earth or the car electrical system has something, not yet found, that is killing them.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Launching!

I think I just figured mine out.

My first suspect was my audio system, and measuring the DC Amps on the separate battery cable to the system, I found a 150mA draw.
Some narrowing down, and it turns out that my 1F capacitor was the culprit. After bypassing it, I'm down to a 0.05mA draw for the audio-system.

A 150mA draw could definitely explain my battery going flat in two weeks, so I stopped my troubleshooting there.
If I still have trouble later on, I'll keep looking.

The capacitor is a 1F one with "automatic current-controlled remote" from Diesel audio. Apparently, that automatic thing isn't working the way it's supposed to..
Old 12-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TA-Swede
I think I just figured mine out.

My first suspect was my audio system, and measuring the DC Amps on the separate battery cable to the system, I found a 150mA draw.
Some narrowing down, and it turns out that my 1F capacitor was the culprit. After bypassing it, I'm down to a 0.05mA draw for the audio-system.

A 150mA draw could definitely explain my battery going flat in two weeks, so I stopped my troubleshooting there.
If I still have trouble later on, I'll keep looking.

The capacitor is a 1F one with "automatic current-controlled remote" from Diesel audio. Apparently, that automatic thing isn't working the way it's supposed to..
Bump this one, my car is 100% stock no aftermarket audio, just the optima.
Noticed there are quite a few of us trying to chase this down, I have just been disconnecting my batt when I know my car is gonna sit more than a couple of days, which is horseshit!
Old 12-29-2008, 01:33 AM
Launching!

Well, I haven't left mine sitting for weeks, but the problem has not happened again, and battery voltage in the morning seems a lot more normal now than it used to.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by J-Train
Bump this one, my car is 100% stock no aftermarket audio, just the optima.
Noticed there are quite a few of us trying to chase this down, I have just been disconnecting my batt when I know my car is gonna sit more than a couple of days, which is horseshit!

Im in the same boat buddy. I just leave mine connected to a battery charger/tender to keep the Optima alive. If it is leaved for a week, it goes dead. Im thinking of ditching the Optima and try regular, but good, battery and what goes down.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chaman
Im in the same boat buddy. I just leave mine connected to a battery charger/tender to keep the Optima alive. If it is leaved for a week, it goes dead. Im thinking of ditching the Optima and try regular, but good, battery and what goes down.
Yep, me too, when this optima goes, I am gonna just invest in a replacement delco and see what happens.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TA-Swede
Well, I haven't left mine sitting for weeks, but the problem has not happened again, and battery voltage in the morning seems a lot more normal now than it used to.

If you get a chane, cheack your batt with a multimeter right after you drive the car, and if you are gonna skip a day or two of driving, take the measuremnt again before you start the car, my car is consitently loosing about a volt a day now (unlesss I drive it), and is probably gonna get worse.
THe battery started out about 12.6 V now it will only charge to about 12.25V after a long drive.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Launching!

I think I finnaly narrowed my problem down to a Ipod adapter, a USA Spec, I could swear I read another member having the same issue with his, but I can not find what he said his soulution was, besides just not using the ipod adapter.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default I have the same problem and also use ipod adaptor.

I know this is an old *** thread, but I wonder if you ever found out how to fix this without not using the ipod adaptor. I have a dead battery after a couple days of sitting, and that's after having parasitic drain tests on it, new batteries, new alternator, and still nothing. However, when you said you had the ipod interface, that raised some curiousity for me as well. Could this be my problem? Did anyone ever find out anymore on this?
Old 04-29-2010, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was hoping to hear a fix also...
Old 04-29-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya need to re-wire the ipod adaptor connection to an ignition wire instead of the always on power wire that the harness uses.

Here is a copy of what usa-spec sent me to fix the problem.

FYI, unplugging the I-Pod itself does not prevent the drain!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
fbody_wiring.pdf (30.1 KB, 357 views)
Old 04-30-2010, 07:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was just thinking of posting this up too in your honor Michael02hawk! However, I have unplugged my entire ipod adaptor from my monsoon just to make sure that I'm not experiencing any "other" battery drain. I'm glad usa-spec acknowledged this and provided a copy of a fix. Thanks again man for your help in this
Old 01-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by oddwraith
I was just thinking of posting this up too in your honor Michael02hawk! However, I have unplugged my entire ipod adaptor from my monsoon just to make sure that I'm not experiencing any "other" battery drain. I'm glad usa-spec acknowledged this and provided a copy of a fix. Thanks again man for your help in this
Bump to this, after some experience with the modded USA spec harness, I am not entirely convinced it fixes the problem wired up like this, after several months, I killed another battery, I am begining to think that the adapeter being pluged in to the back of the radio is causing the radio itself to draw current. The only way I have found to toatlay fix the problem is to unplug it from the radio.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Teching In

bump
I have the same problem, optima battery dead after a couple of days sitting, anyone switched batteries or found a fix to this yet?

EDIT: My stupid car audio installer wired my remote wire on my new amp to the ignition incorrectly and the amp was staying powered on all the time

Last edited by DragonBlood; 02-19-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Same problem, car runs like **** randomly and everything gets reset. Red top battery.

Quick Reply: LS1 TA Static Battery Drain