General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Quick online diagnosis before taking it in..

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick online diagnosis before taking it in..

Ok, before I take it in to a local mechanic I wanted to see if this forum's community could help me pinpoint the problem I'm having with my T/A.

I have a 99 T/A AT with 79,000 miles.

There seems to be some clunking noise coming from under the car when I put it in reverse from park. It occurs as it shifts, and its not a deep clunking noise its more like taking two thin pieces of aluminum and taping them together real quick. I think it even occurs when going from reverse to drive but the sound of my exhaust makes it hard to hear.

Also, when I'm cruising at about 20-30 mph and rev it there is a chirping noise that comes from under the front of my car. I can only hear this chirping noise when its rev'd and only at low speeds. I think it happens at higher speeds I just can't hear it. The chirping noise only happens right after the engine is rev'd. I step on the pedal, then there is a moment of lag in which the chirping occurs, then the engine picks up. The lack of response from pedal to engine is pretty long as well. Its like having a 56k modem again but applied to my pedal/engine.

I plan on bringing it in to a local mechanic (not a dealership) to have them look at it but I wanted to get some advice before I bring it in. Last thing I want is for them to fix something that doesn't need to be fixed and still have these issues. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The clunking could be tranny mount perhaps, did you check that?
Old 10-22-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
The clunking could be tranny mount perhaps, did you check that?
I'm not very savvy when it comes to vehicle mechanics...its not really a clunk more than it is a tink tink kind of sound...a light tapping so to speak...and I can only hear it when shifting from park to reverse that initial jerk comes with that tinking sound...
Old 10-22-2008, 06:29 PM
12 Second Club

mine makes a nice solid clunk from Park to reverse, should be fine.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blazingz28
mine makes a nice solid clunk from Park to reverse, should be fine.
Yeah it could be fine but this isn't a loud solid clunk. There is a clunk when the gear is shifted which I assume to be normal but there is metal tapping sounds. Tink tink tinktink kinda sounds that come from under the car.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it a constant rapid noise? Metal vibration sounding? If it is, it could be a heat shield, I have one somewhere that vibrates but I don't know where it is exactly. Maybe I'll be able to find it later on this year when I have my car up on a lift.
Old 10-22-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Is it a constant rapid noise? Metal vibration sounding? If it is, it could be a heat shield, I have one somewhere that vibrates but I don't know where it is exactly. Maybe I'll be able to find it later on this year when I have my car up on a lift.
Naw, its not constant at all and only occurs when shifting from park to reverse and during the actual shifting. Its only about 4-6 clinks then once shifted I never hear it.

I just wanted to get some ideas before taking it in to the shop.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

could be the u-joints on your driveshaft, because it does this front forward to reverse and vise versa i would think its something thats moving ie driveshaft or rear end and the u-joints connect these together.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

The symptoms you are describing kind of sounds like a cracked flexplate. Is it the belt chirping? If you take the belt off and rev it is the noise still present? (dont run it longer than 20 seconds with belt off)

As far as the clunk between drive and park and reverse, some is normal as all of the gear backlash is being taken up when going between gears. If you think its excessive, it may be a slip yoke, driveshaft, or u-joint problem.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

[QUOTE=joshp14;10342520]is the belt chirping? If you take the belt off and rev it is the noise still present? (dont run it longer than 20 seconds with belt off)QUOTE]

The belt was changed less than 4000 miles ago.

The chirping does not happen when the car is in neutral. It only "chirps" in gear when I am cruising, foot off the gas, at 25-35 mph and then punch the gas real quick. As I punch the gas, there is a quick chirping sound coming from under the engine, as the car accelerates but quickly goes away. If I continuously punch the gas over and over at this speed it continuously chirps...gas chirp gas chirp gas chirp...Over the last six months it has progressivly grown louder and more prominant.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01CaMMMaro
could be the u-joints on your driveshaft, because it does this front forward to reverse and vise versa i would think its something thats moving ie driveshaft or rear end and the u-joints connect these together.
anything that would sound like ticking or clinking?