General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

bullshit flasher

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bullshit flasher

can someone please tell me where the hell this is. my haynes manuel blows and as stupid as this i can't find this peice of ****. someone please help be very descriptive. i have a 99 camaro z28 m6 and i want my signals back thanks guys.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you sure its the flasher and not the bulb
Old 10-29-2008, 02:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did a quick search and it looks like it's located above the Data Link Connector inside the dash. I've never replaced one myself so I hope that's correct.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks i guys i'll keep looking. i know it s the flasher not the bulb because generally bad bulbs are indicated by in car signals flasher much quicker than normal. 2x as fast usally
Old 10-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by massconfusion
thanks i guys i'll keep looking. i know it s the flasher not the bulb because generally bad bulbs are indicated by in car signals flasher much quicker than normal. 2x as fast usally
Nope. It depends on the car and the flasher. Sometimes it just stays on solid.

On our cars, both sides use the same flasher. So if one side works and the other doesn't, the flasher is not the problem.

Check out this diagnostic before going on a wild goose chase:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....18&postcount=7
Old 10-29-2008, 07:32 PM
12 Second Club

When my turn signal went out, the light inside stayed Solid.
Old 10-30-2008, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, my buddy had the same problem on his 96 formula. We found out his left turn signal bulb was burned out. When this happened the light on the dash was solid and the rear turn signal light was solid.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Ill copy and paste my response from a nother thread....Ive heard its a common problem.

Originally Posted by 99Ws6302
Mine did that when I first got my car. Remove the bulb. Pop the hood, and pull the bulb socket up through behind the head light for easier access(not to hard may break the wires or something) Clean it, it may be corroded. Also, make sure the prongs that sit on the metal piece on the bulb end are making contact. Take a small flat head and pry it towards the center. Also use the flat head and scrape the corrosion out.

Thats what my problem was anyways. On both front turn signals!!!
Old 11-01-2008, 07:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99Ws6302
Ill copy and paste my response from a nother thread....Ive heard its a common problem.
Originally Posted by 99Ws6302 View Post
Mine did that when I first got my car. Remove the bulb. Pop the hood, and pull the bulb socket up through behind the head light for easier access(not to hard may break the wires or something) Clean it, it may be corroded. Also, make sure the prongs that sit on the metal piece on the bulb end are making contact. Take a small flat head and pry it towards the center. Also use the flat head and scrape the corrosion out.

Thats what my problem was anyways. On both front turn signals!!!
This was also exactly my problem. Originally I thought it was my flasher too, but it wasnt, and this was how i knew.

When you hold down the turn signal (either side) like you are simulating a lane change with the key in the ON position, you will hear the flasher relay click on. My blinkers stay on when the bulbs are out, by the way ('00 3800 camaro). After you release the turn signal lever you will hear the relay (flasher) release after a slight delay (1-2 seconds.) Since the flasher is a normally open relay if it were bad your signals will never turn on, and you wouldnt hear the flasher click. If the relay was stuck in the closed position they still would not blink, but the lights would be constantly on.

The flasher sounds like it is coming from under the dash, near the obd II connector.

Hope this helps.