General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

leaking t-tops

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default leaking t-tops

Is it common for the driver side T-top to leak? If it is a steady rain and I am on the road it will leak about the middle of the window. I have had my window tinted, could that be the problem? Please advise.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:44 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: leaking t-tops

Neither of mine leak....but then again I never drive in the rain. However when I wash the car they never leak. If it's still under warranty take it to the dealer.
Old 09-19-2003, 10:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Corvette that leaked badly, so when it came time to order my Camaro I chose a fixed roof coupe.

The owner's manual has a specific proceedure for installing your t-tops. Give it a try, but if it doesn't cure the problem take it to the dealer. Hopefully your still under warranty.

Good Luck!
Old 09-19-2003, 11:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on how old your car is, the condition of the door seal, and if your twisting the body of your car.
quick tips
sub-frame connectors,this will stop your t-tops from shifting.
do not armor all your seals. this makes the rubber real slippery, and water finds it's way between the window and seal.

of course these are just some of the possibilities. I hope this helps good luck
Old 09-19-2003, 01:34 PM
Staging Lane

Its my understanding that people who never take off their t-tops have more problem with leaking due to the rubber seals compressing more.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:40 PM
Teching In

I've got a 98 WS6 and the drivers side leaks - not bad, but enough to tick you off. Interesting about how not taking the tops out can cause a leak due to compression. I rarely take them out. That could explain it. Anyone else?
Old 09-19-2003, 09:26 PM
TECH Veteran

This is the reason I ordered a hardtop
Old 09-19-2003, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is it common for the driver side T-top to leak? If it is a steady rain and I am on the road it will leak about the middle of the window. I have had my window tinted, could that be the problem? Please advise.
My car does EXACTLY what you described...its so annoying. How bad is yours? Mine only drips a tad, but right on my F*CKING ARM, drives me nuts! Probably not do to your tinted windows though. Mine dripped before I got my windows tinted.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same drip, same place here also since new and never had my windows tinted. Dealer replaced weather stripping under warranty, helped a little. I adjusted the door striker in a little which made the door close tighter, that helped some also. If the hard top was an option on the Trans Am I would have jumped on it. T-tops suck.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine leak...so did my '89. The "non-leaking" T-tops are a seperate option box in the order sheet and cost extra. I saw a survey of GM options and they listed T-tops as the most popular/most troubling option. It seems that they've always leaked and will always leak....or it is likely. My passengers side drips on occasion and they both leak at the carwash (and I'm careful not to spray the glass/t-top area much at all). I never bothered to take mine back to the dealer...I didn't figure it would help. And, FWIW, I have mine out all the time....daily if I can.

Old 09-19-2003, 11:51 PM
Teching In

mines dont leak at all....if you have a warranty..take it back and have them get it fixed..
Old 09-20-2003, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

Damn it. I just thought I had a shitty T-top. Mine leaks on my drivers right on to my arm as well. It drives me crazy! Thank god it is not a daily driver! I have only driven it in the rain a handfull of times. T-tops, but I do love them in nice weather!
Old 09-20-2003, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

My T-Tops do not leak. They do not leak in the car wash. They do not leak in the rain. I wanted to specifically buy a car with t-tops as they are better than a convertible (safer, lighter, cheaper insurance, and looks better than a covertible roof when up). I love them and have them out more than in (helps to live in a place where its >60 deg in winter).

I was told by a guy who has had t-tops dating back to the 70's on his cars about keeping them off or at least unlatching them at night to save the rubber seals to keep them from leaking. Someone posted a similar comment on either this forum or the "Other" one last year who seemed very knowledgable on the subject.
Old 09-21-2003, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

I forgot to mention, working in Dielectric Silicone Grease (GM Part No. 12345579 or equivalent) in the rubber seals around the t-top has solved many leaks for people.
Old 09-21-2003, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine used to leak bad in my v6, but the ones i have now aren't bad, still though, when i use the hose im careful, cuz it will drip in there, sfc may stop this, I think it has somthing to do with the unibody twisting and eventually not sitting as it was when new, i may be wrong, but who knows??
Old 09-22-2003, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Anyone get that annoying squeek or rattle coming from the drivers side T-top? My g/f's V6 Firebird has that problem really bad and its annoying as hell. I just bought an '01 SS w/ T-tops and since I've taken them off and put them back on its starting to rattle now over bumps. Passenger side doesn't do it though...weird.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mines does that drip thing and only on the driver side. Grease thing sound weird but could not hurt. It did not do it when it was new but unfortunitly my car ahs seen two winters and I am sure that has something to do with it.