General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

cap and rotor help

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 05:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cap and rotor help

while chaging my cap and rotor on my 97 trans am two small disc fell from behnd the rotor, i figured out the small one because it has the holes for the rotor but i dont know where the large one goes ,it is silver with small slits around the outer edge and a hole in the middle of it.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

i beleve that is the wheel that goes on the distrubutor. if it is rusty or nasty lookin at all just get a new optispark. or you will regret it later. i had that problem on my bosses 94. put a cap and rotor on it and it was just a little bit brown but we thought it would be ok. yeah it would not start at all then. so we put a new opti on and it fired up and no problem for 3 years now. you can prolly try and put it on but if it was runnin like **** just buy a new opti casue that is more than likly what your problem is. good luck. don't do the same mistake i did and have to pull the damn thing apart a second time do it. lol.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yep i made the same mistake of not just getting a new opti... and ended up just buying a cap and rotor, throwing it all together, and it wouldnt run... so after about 40 hours worth of taking it off and putting it back on we found out it was the eye that had went bad somehow between the removal of the cap and rotor to putting it back together... and it literally took about 40 hours to figure out because we thought we had the splined shaft in wrong... but with your dowel pin it will be easier to tell... but id recommend getting a new opti over just a cap and rotor now