General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Hesitation Frustation!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation Frustation!

I have been struggling with a 99 z28 and hesitation for about a year now. When I upshift or try to accelerate WOT, the car will shudder and then after the hesitation kicks right up. I did a search and these were some of the common culprits, funny no one else seemed to figure out what was definitely wrong.

1.) Dirty MAF (will clean it ASAP, with break cleaner?)
2.) Bad Plugs ( car was doing this before a full tune up, plugs, wires, all filters)
3.) Clogged Cats (Dont have any)
4.) Bad o2s (no codes thrown. should I replace the front two?)
5.) Fuel Injectors ( it does run better after fuel treatment, plan to Seafoam, or motorvact injectors )

if all else fails, tune the car, do a compression check-gut feeling is car is running too lean but dont know specifically why.

What else can I do?

anyone successfully figure this out?

please clarify any additional info needed thanks!

car has SLP long tubes, underdrive pulley, ls6 intake over ls1 original, no cats, 3" y pipe, and cant think of anything more.

Last edited by Riddlers'_Ls1; 11-19-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Riddlers'_Ls1
I have been struggling with a 99 z28 and hesitation for about a year now. When I upshift or try to accelerate WOT, the car will shudder and then after the hesitation kicks right up. I did a search and these were some of the common culprits, funny no one else seemed to figure out what was definitely wrong.

1.) Dirty MAF (will clean it ASAP, with break cleaner?)
2.) Bad Plugs ( car was doing this before a full tune up, plugs, wires, all filters)
3.) Clogged Cats (Dont have any)
4.) Bad o2s (no codes thrown. should I replace the front two?)
5.) Fuel Injectors ( it does run better after fuel treatment, plan to Seafoam, or motorvact injectors )

if all else fails, tune the car, do a compression check-gut feeling is car is running too lean but dont know specifically why.

What else can I do?

anyone successfully figure this out?

please clarify any additional info needed thanks!

car has SLP long tubes, underdrive pulley, ls6 intake over ls1 original, no cats, 3" y pipe, and cant think of anything more.
Only use MAF Cleaner to clean the mass air flow. Using other cleaners, such as brake clean, can ruin it. CRC makes a MAF cleaner you can get at most auto parts stores.

Did you swap to the LS6 style coolant lines when you converted to the LS6 manifold?? If not, it can cause a vacuum leak, which could be part of your problem.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

Yes the ls6 coolant lines were replaced. Are you suggesting I do a vacuum leak test first?
Old 11-19-2008, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Riddlers'_Ls1
Yes the ls6 coolant lines were replaced. Are you suggesting I do a vacuum leak test first?
Wouldn't hurt, a vacuum leak can definitely cause a hesitation/bog issue.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

I FIXED IT!!!! Two years I have been struggling with this and as an amateur when it comes to mechanics I am pretty proud of myself. I do not know exactly what fixed it but here is what I did:

1.) New NGK Plugs
2.) New AC Delco Wires
3.) New Fuel Filter
4.)Rear differential flush
4.) Oil Change.....

Basically a Tune Up...then

5.) Recharged my KN filter (it was nasty)
6.) Cleaned my MAF sensor with MAF cleaner
7.) Cleaned my throttle body with throttle body cleaner
8.) Replaced the front 02 sensors.

Im a total noob plus a full time student and work full time but i should have had this done earlier, feel free to harass me for not having this done earlier

The only problem now is that there is something wrong in the transmission hydraulics. Under heavy load the clutch wont raise back up enough to shift into 3rd smoothly. I have to pull it up with my toes which sucks.

Its not important to me since it drives perfect 95% of the time. I just hesitate to race because I dont want to miss 3rd and look like a fool. BUT NO MORE HESITATION YAY