General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust leak

My 99 ss has had an exhaust leak since i got it a few months ago. I looked under the car and realized that previous owners had installed some cutouts that don't look like they were installed properly, horrible welds. I'm positive that's the leak, but i don't know what to buy to replace it. The y pipe is fine, and i'm running stock manifolds. I need to know the name of the pipe running from the manifolds to the y. BTW it looks like they took the cats out too and put piping in place with bad welds. Any help would be great!
Old 11-20-2008, 09:26 AM
TECH Regular

You've pretty much answered all of your own questions. Bad welds will cause a majority of exhaust leaks. Are the cutouts electric or do you have to unbolt them to open them up? Some electric cutouts never seal properly. If it is a manual cutout, then go to your local auto parts store and pick up a gasket that fits the size of the cutout.

There really isn't a name for the piece that connects to the Y. Each header has some piping that leads down from the block and connects to the Y. To save yourself some aggravation in the future (by looking at your list of mods), get rid of the stock manifolds and buy some headers. Then take it all to a GOOD exhaust shop and tell them you want it done right ---- Install the headers (unless you can do it yourself), fix the bad welds, make sure there is proper clearance all around (so you're not scraping, and you don't hear the exhaust vibrating against other parts of the car). Without a header install, you're looking at about $200.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The SSheriff
You've pretty much answered all of your own questions. Bad welds will cause a majority of exhaust leaks. Are the cutouts electric or do you have to unbolt them to open them up? Some electric cutouts never seal properly. If it is a manual cutout, then go to your local auto parts store and pick up a gasket that fits the size of the cutout.

There really isn't a name for the piece that connects to the Y. Each header has some piping that leads down from the block and connects to the Y. To save yourself some aggravation in the future (by looking at your list of mods), get rid of the stock manifolds and buy some headers. Then take it all to a GOOD exhaust shop and tell them you want it done right ---- Install the headers (unless you can do it yourself), fix the bad welds, make sure there is proper clearance all around (so you're not scraping, and you don't hear the exhaust vibrating against other parts of the car). Without a header install, you're looking at about $200.
Yeah longtubes have been on the list, but money is tight right now. however, the cutouts you can't even unbolt, they have some sort of screw on cap at the end of them, they're crappy and i want them gone. Should i just take it to a good exhaust shop and say fix this?
Old 11-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Launching!

the stock manifolds are two pieces the manifolds themselves then the cats which hooks up to your y pipe... did they cut out the the cats before or after the bolts to the cats from the manifolds?
Old 11-20-2008, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

Screw on caps??? I know my cutout is a flange that is attached by three 14mm bolts with a nut for each. Below is a link to the WS6store's list of cutouts, a great place to buy parts. All my purchases from them have been a pleasure. Just pick your pipe diameter and you're all set. The one I've chosen is manufactured by QTP... it is stainless steel, and can be adaptable to electric if you choose to do so later down the line.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1610

In regards to your other question, unless you're a really good welder and have an extra set of hands with you (to hold exhaust pieces in place while you weld and measure for clearance), then I'd say take it to an EXHAUST shop, not Tires Plus or some other general maintenance center.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

I say just replace the manifolds with headers(BBK's are the cheapest) and also swap out the Y.

It just sounds like someone man handled the exhaust.

BBK's with a Y are 370 Bucks, shipped.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:13 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by samson_420
I say just replace the manifolds with headers(BBK's are the cheapest) and also swap out the Y.

It just sounds like someone man handled the exhaust.

BBK's with a Y are 370 Bucks, shipped.
that's probably what I will do. Thanks for the advice