General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Passanger window won't go up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008 | 07:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Passanger window won't go up?

I rolled down my passanger side window, took off the switch to replace the button. plugged it back in and now it won't roll up from the passanger side switch also won't roll up from driver side switch either. The driver window switch/motor work. I have power at the passanger side switch, and that switch is good because I swapped it out with lock switch(there the same) and it worked. I also checked the one 30 amp breaker fuse it's good. So what else could it be.I'm leaning towrds the motor, but it's weird it just stopped all the sudden. when my driver side was going out it took a few weeks to totally stop.
Old 11-23-2008 | 07:43 PM
Launching!

sounds like you replaced the switch with a bad switch put the old one back on and see what happens
Old 11-23-2008 | 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

it's the same switch..it works.. GM uses the same switch on the passanger side both for the door lock and window..I just swapped them out.(known good switch)the door lock functions with the same switch, but doesn't for the window.
Old 11-23-2008 | 08:41 PM
Launching!

so it's not the switch maybe the other end that plugs into it... maybe when you went to plug it back it you might have bent a connector? also just because your driver motor took a while to go out it doesn't mean it will be the exact same scenario with the passenger side... and were you replacing the switches and then the window wasn't working? or was the window not working then you tried to swap out switches?
Old 11-23-2008 | 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

The window was fine and worked, I took off the switch to replace the button only it was cracked, put it back together and window stopped working I guess the motor just crapped out.
Old 11-23-2008 | 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you have a test light? check for power on both sides of the "good" switch. then check for power at the window motor. smack the motor while holding the switch, should get it to roll up.
Old 11-24-2008 | 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Very strange for the window motor to magically die like that.

Was it already rolling slow and stopping on its way up?

If so then I guess anything is possible.

The system on this car has both wires to the motor always grounded when you hit the switch it puts voltage to one side or the other. I would run a wire to ground and another to a 12v source by hand and see if the window works.

Also, you don't by chance have the switch in there backwords and keep hitting up and never trying down?

Also might do a search on AutoTrix. You can get the kit at the ws6 store and it will keep the motor from dieing again if it did do so.
Old 11-24-2008 | 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I replaced the motor today and it works fine... I guess I was one of the rare times when the motor just dies all at once..Anyways thanks for all the input guys.
Old 11-24-2008 | 09:31 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dameter21
I replaced the motor today and it works fine... I guess I was one of the rare times when the motor just dies all at once..Anyways thanks for all the input guys.
You can fry a motor by touching them with a metal screwdriver in just the right places and causing a connection in just the right places. When I used to be an auto glass mechanic at a dealership, we used plastic tools around the wiring and to pry apart the plugs so we didn't fry anything. Its rare, but it can happen. You obviously fried it, just too much of a coincidence that your motor failed at the exact time you were messing with it. They make plastic tools for all the work you need to do inside a door near anything electrical.
Old 11-24-2008 | 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well at least its fixed.
Old 11-25-2008 | 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah thats possible but I didn't use any metal tools I pulled off the switch with my hand.