General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

'00 SS Idle Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question '00 SS Idle Problem

I have noticed this problem before, very rarely. It seems to be MUCH more active, now that its winter time and around 32 degrees, daily.

I have a 2000 Camaro SS - M6 and it seems after I start the car up, my RPMs fall to about 300 and the car almost dies, then it catches itself, then falls down again, etc. If I'm sitting still, simply idling, it usually finds about 800-900RPM like normal. But, as soon as I get her going in gear, then put in the clutch, same thing. Falls right to 300RPM, (almost dies), and sometimes it does die. I restart the car several times and that only works once in a blue moon. This probably occurs even after I'm at normal operating temperatures too? After about 20 minutes, the problem goes away about 75% of the time. But as soon as I get back out there and start her up, same thing again.

The most consistent varible I have noticed is that it has been happening a lot more, now that its colder outside. This was a Texas car, before I ended up with her, so this would be her first IL winter...

Any thoughts? I'm at a total loss? I'm hoping somethings dirty, etc. and its not a computer-related problem. Adjusting my screw on my throttle body would definitely have no effect on this problem. Revving the engine was my only way to bring it back, and clearly I can't operate all three pedals at once when stopping, etc. lol.....

Thanks guys..

Old 11-29-2008, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

check your valvetrain. bent pushrod, cracked spring, or busted rocker.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

Check the TPS sensor and MAF sensor to make sure they are working and connected properly. It sound's like a sensor contact problem to me since you state that when the car is up to operating temperature, the problem goes away; the metal in the problematic connection expand's and make's proper contact. You're car must be throwing some codes you can scan.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

No codes... :-\ I check regularly..