General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

weird idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default weird idle

So I stupidly put this in the wrong section, but about three weeks ago i started having problems keeping my car from stalling when it was cold. The problem would only happen the very first time i would start the car for the day, the temp was around 30 degrees, but after keeping my goot on the gas and the car warmed up it was fine. I replaced my o2 sensors(Service Engine Soon was on for the bank 1 sensor 1 and bank 2 sensor 1), which solved the problem, but today i started my car, it didn't stall, but it would idle from 1100-1400 rpms, and then when it was warmer it was fine, idled around 850 rpms in park. I have a 1998 z28 A4.

i didn't know if this was something to worry about. Thanks for any help.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Its in the right section.

You could disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to reset the PCM. But I think you just need to drive it for a little while. Maybe do an idle re-learn procedure, that can't hurt.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS6427
Its in the right section.

You could disconnect the battery for 30 minutes to reset the PCM. But I think you just need to drive it for a little while. Maybe do an idle re-learn procedure, that can't hurt.
well this morning it went back to what it was doing a week ago. The temperature was around 29 degrees. I would start it up(didn't have a problem) then after about 10 secs it would bog down and die. I had to keep my foot on the gas and keep the rpms at about 1700 until the car was warm, then it was fine. For the rest of the day i can start it and it be fine, it only does it the the first time i start it in the morning. I do have a code p0449 which is malfunction in the circuit for the valve/purge solenoid. Could this really cause my car to stall only when it's cold out(below freezing)
Old 12-02-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can look up the code description/diagnostics for your year at gearchatter.com, don't think that's the problem though. Have you checked the battery voltage in the morning before you start the car - maybe the voltage is too low making the PCM relearn the idle? To eliminate the battery you could get a free load test. Just an idea...
Old 12-02-2008, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car used to do that and I had to get a whole new IAC motor Good luck, I wish I had more advice
Old 12-02-2008, 03:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
You can look up the code description/diagnostics for your year at gearchatter.com, don't think that's the problem though. Have you checked the battery voltage in the morning before you start the car - maybe the voltage is too low making the PCM relearn the idle? To eliminate the battery you could get a free load test. Just an idea...
the voltage looks good, but i notice it goes down quite a bit when i'm driving, supposedly my alternator is good, but my batteries crank amps is a little low.

Could a bad purge solenoid or vent solenoid really cause this problem? That is the only code coming up. The other two were o2 sensors, but i replaced those a week ago from this past sunday.

hey babylamb, how much was the IAC motor?.....as long as it's not like $500 i'm fine with the amount it cost.