General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Power steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 05:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering

What is the easiest way to pull the pully off of the power steering pump..

Mine stated leaking and all the replacement ones I have seen only come as the pump or the pump and resivoir....

thanks in advance
Old 12-07-2008, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

You have to remove the pully to get to the mounting bolts for the pump. Go to a parts store and they usually have a puller they will loan you. If not borrow one or find a tool truck. Unless your reservoir is cracked or about to **** the bed reuse it and buy the pump without the reservoir.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:27 AM
12 Second Club

yeah that's what i was reading search was not working that well ...
Old 12-11-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Regular

Agree with FireChicken. Get yourself a reman pump with a lifetime warranty. I borrowed an AmPro brand puller and it worked great. The first time I borrowed a much larger puller kit with all kinds of fittings and accessories in a hard plastic case - it was garbage, oversized, and the threads stripped. The AmPro from Advance Auto is much smaller and hangs on the aisle and worked like a charm.

Remember to check the new pump's box for 2 new o-rings. One goes on the high-pressure hose (the one that screws into the pass side of the pump) and the other goes on the bottom of the reservoir (bottom-center where it plugs into the top of the pump).

It's also a good idea to replace the high-pressure hose itself for about $25. It helps if you have a set of flare nut wrenches. I think one side is 18mm or 15mm and the other is 18mm or 5/8" - confirm with standard wrenches before running out and buying anything.