General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Crazy Rubbing sound!! help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 02:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crazy Rubbing sound!! help!!

alright well about 3 weeks ago i was following one of my buddies and my friend was bein an idiot and got all over it on a backroad... and my suspension absolutely sucks in my car so i took it easy for the most part.... but we came to a 4 way stop that looked smooth and he got on it, so i decided why not... and then i heard why i shouldnt lol... i hit a decent sized pothole and then i heard a vibrating noise that sounded similar to the exhaust hitting the floorboard... so i took it home and checked it out and didnt see anything wrong with it visually, but the sound was still there... so first of all i replaced the tranny mount because it was cracked into 3 pieces.... and it basically made the noise worse... so next step was to change my u joints on the driveshaft just because they had quite a bit of play in them.... and that did no good but i didn't really expect it to... next step was the motor mounts cuz the passenger side was cracked, and thats where the noise is coming from, and replacing both motor mounts also made it sound considerably worse... ive tried prying the exhaust away from anything it was remotely close to and it didnt help, and all my mounts seem good and i don't visibly see anything that could be rubbing... but something sounds terrible and it seems like its around the console/under the passenger seat... so here's a clifnoted version of the story

1.) hit a pothole, bad vibration noise under the car now
2.) replaced tranny and motor mounts and driveshaft u joints, still not fixed
3.) sounds like metal rubbing against floorboard, but exhaust is totally away from floorboard and i don't see anything that looks remotely close to hitting
4.) the sound is really only audible inside the car, can't hear it outside of the car from underneath
5.) noise is still there, but not as much going down the road... but in park and shifting back and fourth from drive to reverse it sounds terrible... but its not like a clunk in the tranny or anything
6.) noise in park goes away sometimes when there is weight put on the passenger side with a driver in it... like if someone sits in my passenger seat
7.) pried the exhaust away from anything that looked close but still nothing...

if anyone has any ideas of what to check out next let me know
thanks!
Old 11-11-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any ideas?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You probably already did, but check the exhaust hangers. I had the rubber in one pop out and the metal-on-metal vibration was awful loud.

Edit: Saw sound was inside, not outside the car. No clue.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i dunno... now the guy thats lookin at my car said he wanted me to come over and see if i can hear anything because he thinks he hears exhaust hitting but doesnt know and cant really tell... ill find out more in the morning...
lol on a positive note im gettin my 3.73s in it tomorrow.... even if it still is broke haha
Old 11-11-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Resident

Is one of your tires rubbing the inner wheel well? My Z did that with my wide tires on some bumps.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i wish... but my 245's arent big enough to do that lol...
you can see rubber marks where ive bottomed out moving because my front shocks blow... but its not constantly rubbing...
plus it does it in park....
Old 11-12-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Resident

haha I beg to differ! LOL my nittos were 275s but that is besides the point. With the new info you added I wouldn't have any idea especially if you pulled the exhaust away.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

im having somewhat of the same problem. Mystery noise, can't find it.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well today while putting the 3.73s in i may have found out what it could be... first of all a couple of my exhaust hangers are really loose like left to right, but up and down they are fine... and i think i must have broken one of those because i went to the local muffler shop that i know most of the people that work there and one of the guys said he had the same problem with his car and he said if one of the hangers is loose and just sitting wrong it will basically shake the whole car... so im hopin when i take it there friday to get it fixed it will be good to go... but ill let ya know what i find out
Old 11-13-2008, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

Probably not your problem but when i put lts and ORY on for some reason my y pipe was just barely touching and vibrating on the y pipe support bar (looks like the tranny crossmember but is behind it a little bit) and was making a horrible noise....Just something you could check
Old 11-13-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

k ill def. take a look at it
goin to the shop tomorrow to get it on a lift and see if we cant figure out anything
Old 11-14-2008, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

The exuast is rubbing the heatsheild. i had this problem.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

lol well more news that makes me think torque arm/bushing for tq arm... the exhaust came totally off today and it still made the noise....
and also found out that if you push on the rear of the car that the noise goes away completely... lol the guy that worked on it told me that if it was his car he would put about 6 concrete blocks in the back and call it a day...
does that sound like tq arm or tq arm bushing to anyone else?
Old 11-24-2008, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im still stuck on this... if i get in the car and crank the wheel to the right to pull into the road from being parked in front of my house the noise goes away until i straighten the wheel... and i also was told but havent tried, that if i push down on my hatch to get the car to drop about 2'' or so that the noise is completely gone....
would i be better off to just get a whole new suspension bushing kit and just hope thats what it is or what? i mean i have no idea and its been to 2 different shops and nobody knows....
Old 12-07-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well went to my neighbor that owns a transmission shop today and he said that he thinks its something to do with my transmission... so hopefully thursday i'll know for sure... lol this has been too strange
Old 12-11-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well and to finish up on this... i guess the place that put the transmission in forgot to take a 3/16'' piece of steel off of the transmission that was protecting an electrical connection for shipping i'm guessing... so it was all mangled up and was hittin my floorboard... so now we are good! but it tore that piece of metal up pretty good lol