General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

NEED HELP. Car Bogging

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP. Car Bogging

For the past couple of weeks my car has been bogging on WOT. Towards the top of gears is when its the most noticeable but not all the time, but most of the time. It keeps throwing codes like
p0131 and p0171 which i think is lean bank 1 sensor 1. Ive replaced the o2 sensor like 3 times and the code still keeps coming back?

Ive taken it too my tuner and he said to check the fuel pump. But it shows normal. And ive always replaced the fuel filter no more than 10000 miles ago. The car has 120k on same plugs? Is it time for new plugs or something else. Anyone else have problems like this

The car only has just a tune, true duals, intake and gears.

-ANY help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-16-2008, 03:20 AM
Launching!

How did you check your fuel-pressure?

It might be fine at idle, but dropping pressure at WOT because it can flow enough, which causes a lean condition.
If you can scan the car while driving, have a look at the injector duty-cycle, which should give you an indication of how the fuel-pump is behaving.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

You may try cleaning your MAF. If the MAF reads less air than is actually coming in, the PCM will cut fuel to the engine, causing a lean condition.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Teching In

I just put another MAF in and still the same problem. But my tuner said to check the fuel pressure gauge while driving at WOT too so i guess im going to do that. But yea after the new MAF was in after 5 minutes of ideling fine, started sounding chopping just really messed up dont know how to explain it.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Teching In

How would i check the injector duty cycle?

And the guy checked it with a fuel pressure gauge.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Bumppp
Old 12-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Launching!

Yep, you'll need to check the fuel-pressure at WOT, since that's when it's bogging.
If your fuel-pump is going out, it wont be able to deliver enough fuel-pressure for the car to reach stoich, and it'll run lean (which the codes indicate).

Now, by checking the injector duty-cycle, you'll see how hard the injectors are trying to compensate for the lean condition by adding more fuel. If the injectors are working at 100%, and the fuel-pressure drops while at WOT, you're looking at replacing your fuel-pump.

However, if your fuel-pressure doesn't drop, but the injectors are still at 100% while at WOT, you might be looking at swapping O2 sensors.

You can check the injector duty-cycle with HP Tuners for instance.