General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Two striped bolt holes in aluminum block???

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two striped bolt holes in aluminum block???

So my cars been in and out of the tranny shop 5 times in the last two years. well last week when the tranny was pulled again one of the mechanics pointed out that the 11 and 12 o'clock bolt holes for the bell house are striped out!

So the cars going back in the shop next week and the owner doesn't know that I know about the striped holes. So my question is can I just tell them to put a couple heli coils in the aluminum block that will hold a bellhouse bolt or what are my options?

Also Is there anything that can go wrong when launching a car hard on drag radials when two bolts next to eachother on the bell house are missing? excessive flex or give ect? Or is it pretty solid even without the 11 and 12 o'clock bolts in?

Thanks for any replies in advance!
Old 12-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Banned

Just tell them you have two stripped out bolt holes that need to be helicoiled.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ws666
So my cars been in and out of the tranny shop 5 times in the last two years. well last week when the tranny was pulled again one of the mechanics pointed out that the 11 and 12 o'clock bolt holes for the bell house are striped out!

So the cars going back in the shop next week and the owner doesn't know that I know about the striped holes. So my question is can I just tell them to put a couple heli coils in the aluminum block that will hold a bellhouse bolt or what are my options?

Also Is there anything that can go wrong when launching a car hard on drag radials when two bolts next to eachother on the bell house are missing? excessive flex or give ect? Or is it pretty solid even without the 11 and 12 o'clock bolts in?

Thanks for any replies in advance!
what owner?
Old 12-21-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

My guess is the shop owner.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Yea I was talking about the shop owner. **** like that tells me I cant trust him to do the job right, Lucky for me one of the mechanics was nice enough to look out for me and show me or else the shop owner would have never said or done anything about it since it would cost him what an extra 20 bucks and maybe 10 minutes of one of his mechanics time to do the job right... Guess he figures I'm never gonna drop the tranny myself so i'm never gonna find out...
Old 12-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Banned

Yea I was talking about the shop owner. **** like that tells me I cant trust him to do the job right, Lucky for me one of the mechanics was nice enough to look out for me and show me or else the shop owner would have never said or done anything about it since it would cost him what an extra 20 bucks and maybe 10 minutes of one of his mechanics time to do the job right... Guess he figures I'm never gonna drop the tranny myself so i'm never gonna find out...
Wow. So it's been in and out at the same shop? five times?
And you think they're going to screw you on two heli coil jobs?
I think they already screwed you so why not.

Is this the only trans shop within 100 miles or what, why do you keep going back?
Old 12-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well, since the mechanic found it and told you, it should simply be a part of the project to fix the stripped bolts. Is the mechanic afraid to let the owner know that he found the stripped bolts "and told you about it?"

If its only $20 bucks just pay for it yourself and have it done right, even if they stripped them the last time it was there.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Launching!

i would helicoil them. i would atleast feel better about that fix versus having no bolts in there.

I have helicoiled a few aluminum pieces before and had real good luck. But i had aluminum bolts to go back in and they were not that stressed. It was on a BMW FYI. they have aluminum bolts into aluminum & magnessium components.