General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Keep blowing headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 04:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Keep blowing headlights

Lost one last week, replaced it and then the other side went out... bad ground?
Old 12-22-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ttt... could it have to do with the illumination wire on the radio? I disconnected because it would cause problems with my headunit... but I may have left the lead exposed.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has nothing to do with the illumination wire on the radio. If that wire touched anything it would blow the fuse for the instrument panel lighting.

I had an alternator problem caused by rain once, the volt gauge showed 17+ volts.
Both headlights blew out.

What brought it to my attention was the ASR, brake, abs inop, airbag lights would come on when the voltage went over 17.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

I have had a similar problem with my car... both sides have gone out twice in the last 6 months.. if you figure out what's causing it make sure and post it on here because i'm not too good at figuring out electrical problems
Old 12-23-2008, 12:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Its driving me crazy and I really dont want to keep buying new headlights. Does anyone know what could be causing this?
Old 12-23-2008, 07:41 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Its also happened to me. My bulbs always go out within a few weeks of each other. On the surface, this shouldn't cause concern, especially if the bulbs were installed at the same time. Bulbs have a finite life and are consumabele. If they were both installed togeher, they will always "burn" at the same times and it would make sense that they would run out together.

Now, last year - I replaced my original headlights (which lasted me 8 years) with some of the new, expensive Sylvania ExtraVision bulbs. Those turned out to be total duds and only lasted me one year. They too burned out at the same time. The quality definitely wasn't there on this set. I replaced them with new ExtraVision bulbs and if these go out in the same way - I'm going to flip.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:44 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by W es 6
I have had a similar problem with my car... both sides have gone out twice in the last 6 months.. if you figure out what's causing it make sure and post it on here because I’m not too good at figuring out electrical problems

W es 6, What kind/brand of bulbs have you been installing? If you have Sylvanias, they have a satisfaction guarantee. (Check the instructions on the back of the box.) All you should need is you receipt to get replacement bulbs directly from the factory.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:49 AM
Teching In

i posted something like this a few weeks ago and no one seemed to have a clue then either. i thought it was only me that was having this kind of problem. i had to replace my headlights twice in 6 months, continually have to replace my front turn signals because they've each blown out at least 2 or 3 times, and my steering wheel radio control lamp on the left side...no alternator issues like 9000th01ss described, but my volt gauge does read pretty high when i first start up, probably around 16-17 as well.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

i leave a gps unit plugged into my cig lighter all the time to keep my battery under 16 volts on startup. there are some downsides to a good alternator i suppose. high voltage does indeed fry bulbs though.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i was having this issue even the gauges would go hay wire and the car even stalled once... i came to the conclusion it had to be a ground so when i did my motor swap i used some amp wire and made two new grounds one for each side been fine ever sence
Old 12-23-2008, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

wssix99 -- thanks for the tip i am using sylvanias next time i'll definitely check out that satisfaction guarantee

Quick Reply: Keep blowing headlights