General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

need help!! few problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help!! few problems

Hey guys, I'm having some trouble with my '99 ws6 and I thought I should get some more experienced advice than the guys down at the local autozone. First of all, my blinkers totally went out. I read the threat about it and tried to resolve my problem, but nothing seemed to fit my situation. I replaced the flasher module and fuses but nothing worked, hazards do work though. Next, my cruise went out. I replaced the fuses as well, but still broken. Could it be the multi-function lever? Lastly, my headlights stopped popping up so I can't drive it at night. If im lucky, out of 20 tries i can maybe get them to pop up once or twice, but the headlights only last for a few minutes then they turn right back off, but the headlights housing is still popped up. Is this a wiring issue, perhaps they got wet and I need to have it checked? Also, could autozone hook something up to my headlight motors to see if they're receiving power? Sorry I know this is long, but I really need this fixed! I haven't had the pleasure of driving my car in over 5 months because of this. Any input would be great. Thanks guys..
99fastws6 is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Old 12-25-2008, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

U need a multifunction switch very comon in T/A's not sure y though, my buddy has had 2 different trans ams a 95 and now a 99 and they both took a **** just put a new one in and be done with it.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would say you definitely have a wiring issue that needs to be tracked down. Might be a long tedious job.

You can wind your headlights up with the crank and they will stay up all the time, then you just turn them on and off with the switch inside the car, but why the lights are going "off" after a few minutes points towards a wiring issue, maybe a short.

Beyond fuses and making sure motors are working, the only other thing has to be shorts somewhere. Maybe in the MF switch.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

well i know the multi function switch operates the highs, so I was thinking it probably has some affiliation with the lows as well..? not too sure, but i hope the lever fixes the headlights to.. i'll have it in hopefully sometime next week bc i have to wait for the part to get here.. i'll let you all know, thanks for the input guys..
Old 12-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

what's the mf switch??
Old 12-25-2008, 11:25 PM
wrencher

MF is the multi fuction switch, it's the headlamp dimmer, cruise, wipers & turn signals depending upon how the car's designed /equipt.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Staging Lane

hahahaha yeahh i figured that out once i sent it, my fault.. im def keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it's the mf switch opposed to an eletrical problem.. so if the mf switch doesn't resolve the headlight problem, should i move on next to the headlamp motors?
Old 12-28-2008, 12:40 AM
Teching In

Default same problem

Hey I have the same problem. My Blinkers do not work at all, Cruse control does not work either. But My Headlights work fine, lows and Highs. Do you guys think a MF switch? What Part number?

I've pulled out my bulbes in my front runner lights and cleaned and replaced the the sockets, they were rusty, but this did not fix the problem.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:06 PM
Teching In

I had the same problem a few weeks ago and changing out the MF switch resolved all the issues with the blinkers.

As for the headlights, are they making a grinding noise when they're attempting to come up? If so, looks like you'll be needing some headlight gears..
Old 01-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

no i dont believe its that.. i've seen the thread about the headlight gears and mine definitely doesn't grind, they will pop up and all of a sudden the headlights will shut completely off leaving the headlight pods still standing. After that, I can turn the headlights and fogs completely off and then the headlight pods wont even come up at all. It couldn't be a fuse bc they wouldn't pop up at all. I'm thinking there's a wiring issue somewhere, i just have to find out where unfortunately. Does this sound like it could be that?
Old 01-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Teching In

It definitely sounds like a wiring issue. I've had my fair share of problems with these lights but haven't heard of a problem like that.

See if the connection behind the headlight switch isn't loose or damaged.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

yeah i checked where it plugs into the headlight unit, and it didn't seem to have any problems.. it didn't seem to have any corrosion or anything.. anyone else having similar problems as me? any input would be great.. thanks guys