General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Spark plug broke and left threads in head!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark plug broke and left threads in head!

Hey all,
Apparently I waited too long to change spark plugs, one of them cracked at the housing and blew out of the head. Ideas?

Last edited by Tuffguy610; 04-20-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: .
Old 12-25-2008, 08:47 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You mean the metal that the socket goes onto also broke clean off and there's nothing to grab onto?

The m,etal is all one piece, almost impossible for that to happen....or so I thought.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Banned

Thats weird.
The only procedure I can think of that would involve an easy out would be to buy one, stick it in the hole and turn it. don't know how else you'd use an easy out.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

LS6427: Yes, the nut came off of the plug, the metal did split. You are reading it right.

9000thSS: I understand it seems easy, but are they are any tricks of the trade? I read stuff on here all the time, people say "do this and do that", I try it and something snags. I dont wanna take the head off my car to do this. Fortunately it happened on one of the easiest cylinders to access. If it happened on the rear passenger one, I'd be screwed. These are the original 80,000 mile spark plugs.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Banned

Well the only thing that comes to mind is sizing it right.
Do you have an easy out set?
If you don't, then I'd take a good spark plug out, beat all the ceramic out of it so it's just a metal shell, and take that to the tool store to find one the right size.

Are you sure the whole spark plug didn't shoot out?
I've seen them come loose and blow out, the whole thing.

I've only heard of one breaking off and it was on a ford 4.6 where the plug sits down in a deep well and moisture had rusted it.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Regular

I don't have an easy out set. I am sure that the remains of the plug are still in there. I reached down to the plug hole (because I cant see it) and I felt burrs of what would seem to be remains that protruded from the head. I'll do what you said with taking another plug out and running it up to the store. What scares me is the fact that factory plugs are tight especially when old, and i won't have enough room to beat the ez out into the hole because as you all know, the head is right up against the frame rail.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:43 PM
Banned

I've never bought an easy out, I got a lot of them from my dad. They all screw in as you turn it. In fact the only modern easy out I've seen did need to be hammered in. Hopefully you can find one that draws itself in as you turn it.

You might double check with a mirror to see it, it is very odd that it broke off.

If it did break off I'd think the threaded part would be somewhat loose, if the taper broke off with it there would be nothing to run tight against. But thats just a guess. Good luck.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:20 PM
wrencher

Have seen this before over the years w/ various vehicles.
Usually the plug is welded or crimped the hex at that point to capture & contain the porcelin. They break off right under the hex & leave the threaded barrel in the head.
I use a square extractor to get these out. Not a spiral one. They square one will bite it alot harder.
i use the freeze type pentrating oil & then put a little grease in the center of the barrel to capture possible debris from entering the cylinder.
Then tap it in there & remove it. May take quite a few trys hopefully it's not siezed in there.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:26 AM
TECH Regular

Wrencher, thats exactly what happened with my car. It broke right at the hex point. I'll have to take another plug out to see what they look like inside if theres a weld or a crimp. Obviously the other piece of what I'd be dealing with is still in there.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wrencher
Have seen this before over the years w/ various vehicles.
Usually the plug is welded or crimped the hex at that point to capture & contain the porcelin. They break off right under the hex & leave the threaded barrel in the head.
I use a square extractor to get these out. Not a spiral one. They square one will bite it alot harder.
i use the freeze type pentrating oil & then put a little grease in the center of the barrel to capture possible debris from entering the cylinder.
Then tap it in there & remove it. May take quite a few trys hopefully it's not siezed in there.

Freze type penetration oil??? Explain please..never heard of it..

Got a customers 2000 Silverado 4.8 here and the rear drivers side plug snapped off just as described above....

Nut snapped off and the ceramic and all came out, only the threads stayed in.

I got the EZ out in there but cant quite get enough leverage to get it out. Going to call it a night and try tomorrow. I thought that my problem might be that it would just strip but it seems to have bottomed out and I cant turn the bit anymore.

Soooo...whats that freeze type penetrating oil you are talking about? I WD-40d it for an hour before putting the bit in...
Old 01-01-2009, 11:49 AM
wrencher

http://www.henkelna.com/cps/rde/xchg...8_USE_HTML.htm
There are quite a few others out there but this one should be an easier one to find.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Launching!

see if you can weld a nut to the plug, thats the only thing i can think of.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Regular

I haven't even tried to do anything to it yet. I cringe thinking about it. My daily driver is putting me through the ringer, and thats the only thing I have to get me around for now. So I'll fix that, and then move onto the LS1. It might be the end of the road for me and this car, its getting to be too much. Thanks for everybody's advice so far.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:57 PM
wrencher

these are the kind/style of extractor i was talking about to get these out as well;
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Old 01-14-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Regular

Finally got it out last night. I went to Pep Boys after taking another plug out and stripping it to a metal shell to find the right ez-out tool. The dude at the counter showed me a good tool, i test fitted it and knew that it would be the right tool. I got some PB Blaster, soaked it in there and let it sit for a few days. Then I came home from a business trip, hammered the ez out in the hole, made a big *** cheater bar out of rachets, jack handle extensions, sockets, and who knows what, and popped it loose. Its great, I'm driving it around today and I didnt even have to go to a shop. Now its time for new plugs and wires and a full tune up. Thanks to all who helped.

Quick Reply: Spark plug broke and left threads in head!