General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 12:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fuel filter

I was thinking about changing the fuel filter for my 2000 chevy camaro but i was wondering were can that be if its by the tank i have to take out the whole entire exhaust and thats a hassle since i had to change my flotation sensor kit since my car wasnt reading how much gas i have in my tank and i had to take my entire exhaust from the headers down and pull that crap down but btw does anybody know where the fuel filter is?
Old 12-28-2008, 12:31 AM
Launching!

it is located under the car right beside the driver rear tire
Old 12-28-2008, 12:50 AM
TECH Regular

when changing it take the gas cap off to releave some of the pressure in the gas tank.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

The next time that you have to get into the Fuel Tank, why don't you just cut an access Panel?
Old 12-28-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv
The next time that you have to get into the Fuel Tank, why don't you just cut an access Panel?
Hey...be nice.

It's the fuel PUMP that is in the tank.

To the original poster: the fuel filter is on the inside of the under body near the rear drivers side wheel well. One end screws in and is removed with a couple of wrenches or even pliers. The other end is a quick connect fitting that you can take off with a special tool, but that isn't really needed. I just use a small screwdriver to push the tabs in. You might have a little trouble the first time you do it, but you DO need to learn how because it needs to get done at least once per year. I have a couple ramps that I use to drive the front up on to get under the car to change the oil. They also work great for changing the fuel filter if you back up on them to raise the rearend.

Buy a new fuel filer and crawl under the rear of the car and look for something that looks just like it. Oh.. you will probably get gas ALLL over yourself the first time, so park away from the house, have a towel handy, and no smoking.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ghardester
Hey...be nice.

I was being nice, I was giving him a good pointer about how to get into the Tank easier.

Originally Posted by ghardester
It's the fuel PUMP that is in the tank.
No ****..?
I'm pretty sure if you looked at my sig, I've probably gotten into the Fuel TANK to upgrade the Pump I have..
Old 12-29-2008, 06:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh come on guys let's play nice together and merv you pointed out to me how to make the little "L" shape on my fuel pump door so I could access the line connections a lot easier than the plain rectangle that most folks cut and did anyone notice how the original poster managed to get everything into one sentence since the period key must have been missing but I'm not making fun, merely an observation and to the original poster it looks like a small soup can because is it cylindrical in shape and be sure and have towels around because no matter how much you relieve the pressure it will still have fuel in the lines and I don't think it matters what brand you put in there because you really should change it out periodically because we pulled one off a friend's 2002 car and cut it apart and it was filled with all kinds of crud and I don't even know how it was able to flow but I guess at 58 psi it just forced it through but I think it flows a lot better now and I hope this helps.
Cheers.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

^^Yea, that little L shape helps.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
oh come on guys let's play nice together and merv you pointed out to me how to make the little "L" shape on my fuel pump door so I could access the line connections a lot easier than the plain rectangle that most folks cut and did anyone notice how the original poster managed to get everything into one sentence since the period key must have been missing but I'm not making fun, merely an observation and to the original poster it looks like a small soup can because is it cylindrical in shape and be sure and have towels around because no matter how much you relieve the pressure it will still have fuel in the lines and I don't think it matters what brand you put in there because you really should change it out periodically because we pulled one off a friend's 2002 car and cut it apart and it was filled with all kinds of crud and I don't even know how it was able to flow but I guess at 58 psi it just forced it through but I think it flows a lot better now and I hope this helps.
Cheers.
Sarcasm F T W

Don't forget to relieve pressure by depressing the schrader valve in the engine bay, as well as removing the gas cap. And get a pan or something to catch all the gas that will come out, no point in spilling it all on the ground.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by the_merv

I was being nice, I was giving him a good pointer about how to get into the Tank easier.
Sorry, I just thought that telling someone who didn't know where the fuel filter was, to put an access door in the fuel tank was pointing him in the wrong direction. I thought you were yanking his chain for fun.

We're all good. Just wanted to give the guy a break and not see him flamed.