General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

noises in the back end

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default noises in the back end

im having a few noises, and its bothering me.

first one, i think is the torque arm, since it didnt happen until i changed my clutch, but basically when i back up, and first move i hear a clunking noise, and when i start off i hear it again.. kinda sounds like something is twisting

next one didnt start until last night.. basically when i hit a bump it sounds like bricks or something are banging around in my hatch.. my bump stops are rotted out and basically just hanging there, but the bumps arent hard enough to be bottoming out, so im pretty sure its not that

and for the third noise, it basically sounds like road noise from the tires, but it gets louder and quiter, happens about every second, so a second of loud, a second of quiet, etc. happens at about 45-50mph, i didnt think to change gears when i heard it though... but the thing that gets me, is when i go around a rather sharp turn at around 30mph the noise comes back and gets louder than when driving straight

any ideas??
thanks
Old 12-28-2008, 10:21 PM
Banned

Sounds like a pitted axle where the bearing rides. If it's bad enough to the point that the bearings are ate up too it might be the source of all your noises.

If you take the axles out to check, also take the differential out and inspect the carrier bearings. And try to wiggle the pinion to be sure those bearings aren't loose.

FYI If you have a pitted axle you can get an axle repair bearing for around $26 and be done with it. BUT these don't work with Torsen differentials.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok, i found out what the problem is, the little bar thing that follows the rear diff and its connected to each side of the suspension, i have no idea what it is called, but i guess the bushing and bolt fell off because its just hanging there
Old 12-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slvr98camaro
ok, i found out what the problem is, the little bar thing that follows the rear diff and its connected to each side of the suspension, i have no idea what it is called, but i guess the bushing and bolt fell off because its just hanging there
the rear sway bar? if so the bushing and bolt your looking for is called a stabilizer bar(or sway bar) END LINK.
Old 12-29-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by km346
the rear sway bar? if so the bushing and bolt your looking for is called a stabilizer bar(or sway bar) END LINK.
yeah thanks, i actually went to the parts store and put a new one on

im pretty sure it fixed my problem, with the second problem.

i took it for a test drive, and i noticed that it wasnt banging around on bumps anymore, but im still getting another banging noise back there.. not really sure what it is.

but i do have a question.. when i put the new on on.. it was a bit different than the piece that was on there.

i tried to install it to make it look like the other side, but i got different looking pieces.

anyways, i put the long bolt up through and the nut on top.. im not sure if that is the right way to do it or not?

also, looking at my haynes book, i says to torque them to 16ftlb.. is this correct? i put it on way tighter than 16ftlb because it just seemed awfully loose to me

so did i put it on the right way, does it even matter?

i can always take it back off and fix it

thanks