General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

clunking when spinning tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunking when spinning tires?

hey guys i have done searches and read a ton of posts and im kind of lost here.
my problem is whenever i break the tires loose or lug the car from a stop i get something sounding like its hitting the bottom of the car, or it feels like wheel hop but its not? so i thought it was my y pipe hitting the floor plan because of a bad trans mount so i got a new one replaced it, even though the old one looked good. so i replaced the mount and it is still doing it. but i really spent time playing and listening and it almost seems like its coming from the rear of the car somewhere. it just feels like something is hitting the bottom of the car or something is hitting somewhere. ive inspected underneath the car and everything looks good to me. so i dont know if ive got a bad bushing somewhere that is letting something hit together? i noticed it does it when i turn to the right or left from a stop and get on it.
im just kind of stuck and would appreciate any input,
thanks in advance
Old 01-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Banned

A new trans mount won't stop the Y from hitting the floor.
You need poly or solid motor mounts.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:48 AM
Launching!

check the rear sway bar bushings if it's a clunking i'd rule the ory out since it's not a solid clunk when it hits its more like a barage of thumps...

also torque arm
Old 01-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by beezer1519
check the rear sway bar bushings if it's a clunking i'd rule the ory out since it's not a solid clunk when it hits its more like a barage of thumps...

also torque arm
My ORY hits with a "barage of thumps"

All my bushings are like new. I tested the ORY once by wedging a piece of wood in between the floor and the ORY and the noise went away.
IMO the best way to eliminate that is to get better motor mounts.

If you put one of those hangers or wedge something in there, then your header is taking the stress of holding the engine down.

I just assumed if the trans mount was replaced other bushings were looked at while the car was up.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Teching In

I did check most everything out while it was up. I thought about wedging something under y, maybe I'll try that to see if it's the culprit?
Old 01-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigjohn450
I did check most everything out while it was up. I thought about wedging something under y, maybe I'll try that to see if it's the culprit?
Yes, that will narrow it down to the Y pipe or something else.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Launching!

mine did the same thing and it was my torque arm bushing. so i bought the chasis mount and it all went away. you might also want to check your lca's. just a thought.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

have a look where the torque arm connects to the rearend, sometimes it hits the tunnel right there and its really hard to see but there will be a place that the paint is gone where it rubs/hits.
That is what my problem was.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Teching In

k guys i wedged a piece of wood under my y pipe today under the drivers side floor pan and went for a cruise and did everything i could to get it to clunk, spun tires, lugged it, tried it all and it never did it. it sounded like normal so its definetly the y pipe banging. so do you think some poly motor mounts will pretty much cure it?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bigjohn450
k guys i wedged a piece of wood under my y pipe today under the drivers side floor pan and went for a cruise and did everything i could to get it to clunk, spun tires, lugged it, tried it all and it never did it. it sounded like normal so its definetly the y pipe banging. so do you think some poly motor mounts will pretty much cure it?
probably
Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
My ORY hits with a "barage of thumps"

All my bushings are like new. I tested the ORY once by wedging a piece of wood in between the floor and the ORY and the noise went away.
IMO the best way to eliminate that is to get better motor mounts.

If you put one of those hangers or wedge something in there, then your header is taking the stress of holding the engine down.

I just assumed if the trans mount was replaced other bushings were looked at while the car was up.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Teching In

how much vibration would there be with solid mounts vs poly mounts?