General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tie rod end?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tie rod end?

Well, the streets were pretty clear tonight, so I got the Camaro out to go for a little ride. Lately, I've been hearing a little pop whenever I'd hit a bump, coming from the front passenger side of the car. Well, it was about 10x worse tonight. And, whenever I took it up to highway speeds, there was a vibration. And it'd get louder, and vibrate more whenever I'd let off the gas, and just coast. My buddy and I were thinking it could possibly be a tie rod end, but I was just wondering what other thoughts you guys would have.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What speed does it start vibrating at? This could be alot of different things! But it could be the tie rod
Old 01-20-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LSx Heaven
What speed does it start vibrating at? This could be alot of different things! But it could be the tie rod
I didn't pay that close of attention. I just noticed it whenever I'd let off the gas at around 55-60. If I gave it some gas, it wouldn't vibrate as much though, and wouldn't make the sound either.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Staging Lane

CV joint maybe
Old 01-21-2009, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I found that the vibration was just from a bunch of ice that was lodged in the front wheels, from busting through a big drift on my road, on my way into town the other night. It froze while it was sitting in my grandparents' garage, and caused the vibration when I got it out the other night. I took a pressure washer to it, and blew the ice out of there, and no more vibration. I've still got the little poping noise though, when I hit a bump. I've had that for a while now though. It also happens when I'm at a dead stop, and take off with the wheels turned to the right, sometimes. Any ideas?
Old 01-21-2009, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

To check your tie rods, you can just get under the car, and grab ahold of your tie rod and move it around near the end.. you should be able to feel if they are loose or not.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine are fudged....I'm switching them out in spring and getting it aligned