General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

02 camaro wont start sometimes possible pass key problem??

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell yeah. Good information on a the ignition relay fixing the cranks no start problem.

It worked on my buddy's 98 z28.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2009, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been fighting this problem for more than a year. Figured it couldnt be the relay because I had swapped them. Installed new cam position sensor. What a P.I.T.A. also broke oil sending unit while in the process."New" relay today.Problem Solved!!! Thanks for the help
Old 07-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

The " other" most common reason to get the security light on and a crank but no start, turn key-no crank and no start, state that is intermitant is the key cylinder in the column. The cylinder has two wires running from it through the column to the connector for the VATS system (where you could jump with a resistor that matches the key). The small wires crack/break with time from the turning of the cylinder and wheel that cause this. I have seen this a ton of times. The cylinder is about 80-120 depending where you purchase and the keys must be cut which cost bout 20 bucks each. You need to bring in your old ignition key for them to see what reistance it is so the new one will match. Any questions pm me.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Teching In

Default Starting Problem

Hi. New to site. Been reading on site for a while. I have a 98 z28 that's been giving me the same problem. I have checked the starter, battery, starter relay and ig. relay. they all work. I can start the car. crank a few times or not and then not start at all. I can turn key over with no results. I can disconnect the battery cable tap it a couple times to battery, then it will start. Its like it's resetting something. Turn car off and wont start again. Thinking its a vats problem. Don't know. Looking for any help.

Quick Reply: 02 camaro wont start sometimes possible pass key problem??