General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Can't get car to start!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009 | 12:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Can't get car to start!

Well I've had intermittent problems starting my car for the last few weeks. I took it for a short spin in town (drove and started fine) and when I got back I parked it in the driveway for a bit.

When I came back out to put it in the garage I couldn't get it to start. It looks like my gauge is only reading ~11 volts on the dash. My Microedge controller is also reading 11.6 volts. I'm not running any heavy stereo equipment that might drain the battery. I do have a underdrive pulley and my nitrous controller that turns on when I have the key in the "on" position.

I tried to jump the battery to see if I could get it started to get it in the garage for now. Once I hooked up the cables I got 12.4 volts but it still would not start. I had to put it in neutral and push it in for now.

Any suggestions? I'm going to take the battery and have it checked just to make sure its ok. It's a brand new Optima red top.

I'm not sure how many volts I need to be able to start the car or maybe if my alternator is crapping out on me.
Old 01-23-2009 | 12:56 AM
12 Second Club

alot of people seem to be having starting issues. as goes for me also
Old 01-23-2009 | 12:57 AM
Banned

Until you check the battery, there's no telling whats up.
Old 01-23-2009 | 01:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Check the Ignition Relay. Mine did that intermittently (would even shut off driving and not want to restart). Ended up the Ignition relay would randomly stick open.
Old 01-24-2009 | 10:07 AM
Teching In

Could be your lock cylinder. I just had to replace mine. Never gave me any warning. Lights came on on the dash, radio worked etc. Could not get it to jump, car would not turn over. Ended up replacing lock cylinder. The resistor on your key, connects inside the lock cylinder. If the wires inside are frayed or broke, it'll send a code to the pcm (I thinks that it) which will not allow fuel to the motor. It's also part of the security system. If you have a programmer, plug it in and see if it shows the code. I've got a friend who's a mechanic and only charged me for the part. But it can be a very expensive fix.
Old 03-02-2009 | 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just to give an update.

I purchased a battery maintainer from black and decker. After charging the battery overnight my car started right up!

Hopefully I won't have any problems after I start driving it around and making some stops.