General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Squeak after exhaust added

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak after exhaust added

Ok. I got my exhaust put on about a month and a half ago. I had plenty of rattling resonance in the trunk area that I could deal with. but over the last 2 weeks, a squeaking sound has shown up in the truck area as well. It only happens from 1750-2300 rpm with the rattling resonance of the trunk. Going to try the process of elimination with it this weekend but could it be the hydralic lifts for the trunk? They feel tight but I don't know. As said before, it sounds like it is coming directly from inside the truck/rear inside of the car. Thanks ahead of time.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

Check to see if the spare tire in the trunk is doing it. Mine rubbed just right when it hit a certain frequency and made my tire squeak on the inside of the quarter panel.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NBM-LS1
Check to see if the spare tire in the trunk is doing it. Mine rubbed just right when it hit a certain frequency and made my tire squeak on the inside of the quarter panel.
Nope, wasn't it. Took out the spare plus the jack and still did it. Any other ideas?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same exact problem when i had my exhaust installed. I could hear it from insided and i knew damn well it never made that noise before i got it installed. So i got under the car and and moved the muffler with my hand and sure enough is was the hanger bolts. They were not tight. I made them as tight as i could and never had a problem since.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by clint195
I had the same exact problem when i had my exhaust installed. I could hear it from insided and i knew damn well it never made that noise before i got it installed. So i got under the car and and moved the muffler with my hand and sure enough is was the hanger bolts. They were not tight. I made them as tight as i could and never had a problem since.

I will be taking a look at them in the daytime tomorrow. I want to get this taken care of since I've got the time this weekend so hopefully I can get it done.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=clint195;11041328]I had the same exact problem when i had my exhaust installed. I could hear it from insided and i knew damn well it never made that noise before i got it installed. So i got under the car and and moved the muffler with my hand and sure enough is was the hanger bolts. They were not tight. I made them as tight as i could and never had a problem since.

Were your hanger bolts loose to the touch because I'm pushing mine around and they seem pretty solid. Also, I noticed part of the heat shield for the trunk or fuel tank is coming into contact with the passenger side hanger where it splits into the pipes running to the tips. Could this be it? If so, I might just try to bend or dremel it down.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:01 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think mine were a little loose but i cant remember off the top of my head it was a year and a half. If i were you i would bend that piece you are talking about or dremel it and go from there. Also if you could get some pics to show what your are talking aobut that would be great if not thats ok to.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by clint195
I think mine were a little loose but i cant remember off the top of my head it was a year and a half. If i were you i would bend that piece you are talking about or dremel it and go from there. Also if you could get some pics to show what your are talking aobut that would be great if not thats ok to.
I'll see what I can do. I'm a little retarded when it comes to putting pictures up on here but I'll try. Be tomorrow before I can get them up. I'll do what I can though.